New Hard drive

Ping Pong 14:17 21 Aug 2003

Will my mobo support a 120gb HD? I have an MSI 6163 pro board and have just purchased a 120gb drive. The drive is a Samsung however whenever I try to boot using either ax XP disc or windows 98 startup floppy I get to a dead end.The XP disc is not a restore disc but full XP. The HD is recognised during boot up just after the ram count.
However I get a screen which shows my devices such as floppy and cd roms but it does not show my hd. I tried setting the jumpers to slave settings on the drive so that I could format it within windows but I hang at the same screen. The hanging screen shows LBA udma 2 where my hard drive should be.
Any ideas anybody???

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Neo_0147 14:35 21 Aug 2003

Perhaps a bios update could work as it might then detect it with all the up to date devices it might support.

rickf 15:09 21 Aug 2003

Just a short. You need to activate the drive.

Ping Pong 15:23 21 Aug 2003

thanks rickf.
But.
How???????

pj123 15:32 21 Aug 2003

You need to fdisk, partition and format a new hard disk before it can be used. If you are using Win 98SE read this previous thread for full details. click here

xania 16:18 21 Aug 2003

Thanks - pj123 - I didn't fancy typing all that again

rickf 16:32 21 Aug 2003

I am a bit confused. Arte you running XP or Win98. In XP you do not have to fdisk. It should be recognised and showed up in my computer. You then right click the icon and follow instructions to partition and activate. This is provided it is set up as slave with nothing in it. If you have OS on it already then you can as it will tell you its in use.

rickf 16:37 21 Aug 2003

Shoud read " You can't as it you.."

Ping Pong 18:55 21 Aug 2003

In reply.

My existing config has 2x 20gb drives (1 master & 1 slave). I am running Windows XP. I still have my 98 cds and a bootable floppy. XP dosent give you an fdisk option whereas the floppy does.With the floppy I want to fdisk and set the partitions and then install Windows XP on the primary partition. As I said earlier on booting the computer displays the hard drive after the ram count but stops there.

rickf 19:14 21 Aug 2003

As you are running Xp you do not need to fdisk. Fdisk is only for 98. I assume you have set the new h/d as slave. You also complicate matters by having two 20g in there, one would have been set as master and the other as slave. I would suggest that you take out the 20g slave and put in the new 120g as slave having set the jumpers. The first 20g h/d is now the master with XP OS on it. Make sure that the cables arae correctly set then boot up. XP should recognise your new h/d(120g) as slave. Then go into disk management in XP to partition and format( ie making it active). All should then be well. Others will advise you as to how to run 3 h/ds if that is what you wish. In the meantime, just take out the 20g old salve and replace it with the 120g. Hope that is clear.

Ping Pong 19:28 21 Aug 2003

I have tried everything you have suggested much earlier today. The problem is the when I set the large hd as slave I get past the ram count and the machine displays both drives but it stops after that.I get a config screen which shows my master hd but not my slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?