New Hard Disk is missing 35GB?

  Tinkey Winkey 12:10 07 Jan 2007

Have just addded a 2nd 500GB hard disk to edit digital video.

There is nothing on the disk at all so why does it only show as only being 465GB?

I've lost a whopping 35GB somewhere -what's going on please?

My earlier posting on adding and formating the drive is here:

click here

  Zero G 12:15 07 Jan 2007

You will have lost some of the hard drive % & total space through the formating phase of the hard drive. You hard drive is now ready to be used.

  Tinkey Winkey 12:17 07 Jan 2007

Yes but 35GB is huge - surely that's not right or is it?

  suburban train 12:51 07 Jan 2007

I have got an external 320GB hard drive but only 298GB is showing up.

We are both using 93% of the hard drive whats happen to the other 7%?

  jimv7 13:55 07 Jan 2007

Its the way manufacturers measure the size of the drives, 1000Mb = 1Gb, windows reports the size properly as 1024Mb = 1Gb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?