New Hard disk installation for Windows 7

Darklighter 14:35 20 Jun 2010

Hi all,

I am in the process of upgrading my Advent 3519 PC, running XP Home. The PC has issues loading up, keeps saying in a black screen XP not shut down, options to open in safe mode, restore to a stable point etc. Have tried various repairs to no avail, so plan to perform a system upgrade.

I have run a windows 7 check tool on my PC and know that this PC will support W7, however am not happy just to run a upgrade process from XP to W7 given the current issues, also HD creaks at lot when running problems!

Therefore my question is:

1) I have just bought Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB SATA to install Windows 7 professional. When I install the hard disk will W7 automatically format and install?

2) How do I set the new HD to be default and the old HD set as an additional drive?

3) Anything else should I be aware of?

Current spec:
Advent 3519 3.4GHz P4 (6 years old approx)
1024MB ram (this will be upgraded to 2GB shortly)
Maxtor Maxline Plus II 250GB hard disk
XP Home

northumbria61 14:46 20 Jun 2010

A complete guide to installing Windows 7 on a new hard drive.

click here

rdave13 14:53 20 Jun 2010

Also here with option to do a clean install with upgrade disc; click here

As for the old "creaking" hard drive I don't think I'd use it to save any data. Just in case it will fail.

gengiscant 15:08 20 Jun 2010

Your new harddrive should already have its jumper Set to master so you can just plug that after you have removed your old drive.
Your old drive will need the jumper set to slave. Just move the small plastic cover to the correct position.See here.click here

After you have installed Windows 7 you can copy your personal stuff over to the new drive.
Use this to install a lot of popular software quickly.click here

northumbria61 15:09 20 Jun 2010

The guide refers to "Windows Ultimate" but the setup is the same for Pro version.

1. Yes - the guide explains options.

2. I would disconnect your current drive during install/setup of Win 7 - the new hd will then be your "C" drive. Afterwards reconnect your old hd which should become "E" assuming your "D" is your DVD drive and use it as a Backup drive.

3. You could probably do with a bit more memory.

I have Windows 7 Pro and chose to go 64 bit. I have had no regrets.

Good luck !

Darklighter 16:46 20 Jun 2010

Thanks for the help, links and advice.

Just need to purchase Windows 7 32-bit and a bit more ram! E-bay here I come!

rdave13 16:50 20 Jun 2010

98 squids on Amazon; click here

with no potential problems.

northumbria61 17:52 20 Jun 2010

rdave13 - I think Darklighter indicates he wants Windows 7 Professional.

click here

Includes both 32bit and 64bit - the choice is yours.

AlanHo 18:22 20 Jun 2010

gengiscant

It is not necessary to set any terminators or other settings on a SATA drive for proper operation. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector on SATA 150MB/sec drives is for factory use only. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector on SATA 300MB/sec drives can be used to force the drive into SATA 150MB/sec mode for use with older SATA controllers that only work with SATA 150MB/sec drives.

Paddylad 19:27 20 Jun 2010

I think if you have XP Pro on your new HDD all you need is an upgrade. Have a look at PC World price for an upgrade disc.

Paddylad 19:35 20 Jun 2010

Sorry, ignore my last post. The cheaper version they're advertising now is a starter version. It was a full upgrade disc a couple of months ago. Sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache