New Hard Disk - first problem

hml 17:17 09 Jun 2007

Dell have sent me a new hard disk to replace the one that has failed twice. I have installed it successfully, but for some reason it is shown as the "H" drive. drives C to F are now the slots for memory cards (Compact Flash, etc) and G is eth DVD drive. As a complete novice, (a) does it matter if it is now the "H" drive rather than the more normal "C" and (b) if it does, how do I change it around?

rawprawn 17:26 09 Jun 2007

click here You need to change your HDD with the OS on to C:

hml 16:59 10 Jun 2007

Thank you, but how do I do that?

skidzy 17:37 10 Jun 2007

Changing Drive Letters in Windows XP

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. Under Computer Management, click Disk Management. In the right pane, you’ll see your drives listed. CD-ROM drives are listed at the bottom of the pane.
3. Right-click the drive or device you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
4. Click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the drive letter you want to assign, and then click OK.

SANTOS7 17:41 10 Jun 2007

i think you will need to reasign C:/ as something else first, say X Y or Z so the letter becomes available..

Migwell 07:50 11 Jun 2007

You cann't change the drive that the Op system is on. You can change letters on every thing else. As far as I am aware you will be stuck with the main drive on 'H' untill you take out anything else other than the main drive and the CD and format the drive and re in-stall op system, which should then be 'C'. This happened to me some time back and the only way I found was to follow what I said above.
Good luck, Migwell

SANTOS7 22:28 11 Jun 2007

A and B are the only preassigned drive letters the only reason your O/S, main drive becomes C is its in order of asignment.

click here

Newuser38 10:20 12 Jun 2007

• Changing the drive letter of the system volume or the boot volume is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management snap-in. Fromclick here

I am afraid the answer above from Migwell is correct.I have the same problem and have got used to using, in my case I, as the operating partition.

If anyone has a simple answer which wont involve format and re-install they will probably come into this thread.

SANTOS7 18:21 12 Jun 2007

How to: Change my hard drive letter to C:
The following method involves some risks (as is the case with all modifications done to the registry) Backup registry beforehand...

1. Log on as an Administrator.
2. Start Regedt32.exe.
3. Go to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
4. Click MountedDevices.
5. On the Security menu, click Permissions.
6. Verify that Administrators have full control. Change this back when you are finished with these steps.
7. Quit Regedt32.exe, and then start Regedit.exe.
8. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
9. Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for "\DosDevices\C:".
10. Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename. Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt32 to rename this registry key.
11. Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:". This frees up drive letter C.
12. Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\D:".
13. Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Rename.
14. Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
15. Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it back to "\DosDevices\D:".
16. Quit Regedit, and then start Regedt32.
17. Change the permissions back to the previous setting for Administrators (this should probably be Read Only).
18. Restart the computer.

hml 21:54 12 Jun 2007

thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. Santos7, you mention "risks". I am concerned that I may do something unspeakable to my whole system. Perhaps it is better, as Newuser38 says, to learn to live with it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone