new graphics card wont work

malky777 22:28 27 Oct 2007

hi all got a brand new computer from mesh lst month but it has a onboad card with shared memory
so i did a memory upgrade to 3gig but now i got myself a new nvidia ge-force 8500gt pci-e but when i fit the card it will not work i load the drivers and i get a error message cannot find hardware to match the drivers can anyone help
thanks malky777.

bluto1 22:53 27 Oct 2007

I suspect your new graphics card is not seated properly.

Totally-braindead 22:57 27 Oct 2007

bluto1 might be right. Graphics cards are very, very tight to fit into their slots. Quite a few times I have had to remove and refit on a few times before it properly in the slot.

However, if you have fitted the card and the monitor is connected to the card and you get a display thats completly different.

Can you give a bit more info such as is your monitor connected to the new card?

100andthirty 23:02 27 Oct 2007

it is sensible to check that the card is properly seated, but also check if you have to enable the PCIe slot or disable the on-board graphics before the new card is recognised.

Also you should uninstall the on-board graphics drivers before installing the nVideia ones.

I copied these hints from the nVidia site:

Driver Installation Hints

"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

100andthirty 23:04 27 Oct 2007

oh, and I forgot; assuming your card came with some, do read the instructions!!!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?