New Graphics Card for under £60 ?

Dick_Dastardly 23:23 02 Jan 2007

I have a 3 year old Evesham system, with a Radeon 9800 SE 128mb graphics card in - the fan is sounding very load, so I thought it is about time I replaced the whole card.

Not looking for anything too fancy - occasional light gaming, but want a card that is better than the current one, and most importantly quiet !

Don't want to spend too much as its a fairly old system, so can I get better than I currently have for £60 ? Thought about the Sapphire Radeon 9250 256mb as it;s passively colled - would that do the trick ?

GaT7 23:42 02 Jan 2007

The Radeon 9250 would do the trick but is a far cry from the current one.

You'll get something similar or better than the 9800SE off eBay (click here) for much less than £60. Or even from a company that sells secondhand ones, like click here: Radeon 9800 Pro AIW 128MB or Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB for £36 & £32 (excl del) respectively. G

P.S. Remember to get an AGP one (not PCI-E)

StephenRogers 00:18 03 Jan 2007
  Dick_Dastardly 21:08 03 Jan 2007

Excellent list thanks - anyone have any experience of how quiet / noisy the fans on these cards are - getting the PC to be as quiet as possible is a major requirement !

SANTOS7 21:11 03 Jan 2007

click here
this site was posted on here a few days ago..

Dick_Dastardly 22:13 03 Jan 2007

Any further suggestions on particular cards would be much appreciated - I'm staggered by the choice out there, and frankly a bit lost !

Dick_Dastardly 23:22 03 Jan 2007

Been looking through some suggestions on the Internet, and looks like the GeForce 6600GT and Radeon X700 are quite good for my proce range - anyone agree or otherwise with these suggestions ?

Totally-braindead 23:39 03 Jan 2007

The GeForce 7600GS is the replacement for the 6600GT and theres not much between them. Both are powerful cards for the money and if you can get a 6600GT for under £60 then go for it. It will play just about any game.
One thing you must check though. Make sure that if it has an extra power connector, and most of the new cards do, that you power supply is up to it. Otherwise you'd need to buy a new power supply as well. I'm assumming the card you have already did not have a seperate power connector.

I was trying to find you a XFX 7600GS as I have one and its passively cooled as its got a massive heatsink but mine is PCI Express which don't have. I don't know if they do an AGP version without a fan. I had a look on their website and couldn't find one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?