new graphics card deletes old sound drivers & soft

seanysean 19:58 25 Apr 2008

Hi Guys and Gals,

I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade my bog standard GeForce 6200 to something a little better (but cheap) so i bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 3650.

Installing it was easy but its when i turned it on i found that it had deleted (permenantly) my realtek audio mixer software and sound card drivers.

I thought it would be relatively easy to find these again and reinstall them..... boy was i wrong.

I'm running a nearly standard Compaq SR1729UK (a bit more RAM thrown in) on windows XP home, anyway, can anyone help please?

Jak_1 20:17 25 Apr 2008

The easiest way here is to go to the realtec site and simply download the latest driver, just save the file to 'My Documents' for easy location. Once downloaded simply double click to instal and you should then have your sound back.

click here

seanysean 20:36 25 Apr 2008

Tried that, but the ATI software must be blocking it in some way!

mrwoowoo 20:55 25 Apr 2008

Do a system restore to before the graphics driver.This should reinstall the sound drivers.
Then i would try reinstalling you graphics driver in safe mode.
Have you got microsoft .net framework 2.0 installed,which you need before you can install any ati drivers.

seanysean 20:59 25 Apr 2008

Tried that as well, it seems to be perm deleted, i even did a full format but still to no avail! The ATi software install the .net 2.0 automatically b4 it installs the drivers.

seanysean 21:02 25 Apr 2008

by format i mean restored to factory settings from the partition

mrwoowoo 22:11 25 Apr 2008

Been searching around the forums.
Apparently these machines use the Realtek ALC882 sound drivers.

click here

seanysean 22:21 25 Apr 2008

Yep, went and downloaded the drivers and installed them but still nothing appears! it just keeps showing the ATi drivers and software. Its like the ATi stuff won't let anything else install! strange eh!

mrwoowoo 22:21 25 Apr 2008

If thats not the right one you can google your motherboard make and version for the drivers required.
Either download pcwizard if you don't know your board or..
You can find your motherboard from the very first screen of your PC. When computer boot, at the first screen, press PAUSE key. At the top it shows the Processor, RAM etc. of your Computer. At the bottom, it shows a date and a long no. in 3-4 parts. The first part of this no. is the model no. of your motherboard. Next parts are the manufacturers information. Your can get a list of these codes and details from the internet.

seanysean 22:32 25 Apr 2008

thanks, i'll try it now and see if they're different

mrwoowoo 00:33 26 Apr 2008

Perhaps the ac sound codec has been knocked out in the bios which can sometimes happen.
Have a look in there to see if onboard sound has been disabled.Could be something like ac 98 audio codec i think.
Some of the more common keys
are f1, f2, f10, esc, and del. Start pressing as soon as the machine starts
up.
It should say which key at the start up screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017