New Graphics Card

Dvorak 12:47 29 Aug 2008

Hi all,

I am looking to get a new pci graphics card for my high end server motherboard. I have 1 5v pci slot and 2 64bit PCI-X (not PCIe or PCI express) slots. I do not have any PCIe or AGP ports.

I was looking at this pny one, which got good reviews: click here

However, my slots are shaped like this:

My question: click here

I don't think that the universal voltahe card will fit in the legacy 5v slots because the 3.3v connector and backplate are too far away from the slot (it would have to stick out the back). Is this the case?

If so, would it fit in one of my PCI-X slots. I think it would physically fit, but the right most power connector would be in part of the data slot. (look at the pictures). Is this the case. If so, can it work at all?

Thanks

~~ wtkwhite

Dvorak 12:49 29 Aug 2008

Sorry, bad typing. My slots are in fact shaped like this: click here

Dvorak 12:54 29 Aug 2008

And this: click here

kalignorgna 14:16 29 Aug 2008

damm thats old and high end server motherboard not any more sorry, and the answers to you questions are:

1 with the PCI grathics card buy one relevant to ur form factor (AT, ATX and the desktop, tower)and case design say for instance it was an old dell you would have to buy a dell specific graphic card but if it was a old school stlye tower most standard pci cards will fit in

2 no need differnt grathics card no way it will work in it

Dvorak 14:39 29 Aug 2008

No. It's about 2-3 years old. It has no AGP or PCIe because it came in a 1u case. I put it into the tower.

I think the card will fit now. Thanks anyway kalignorgna.

~~ wtkwhite

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?