New Found Hardware Mystery

Alan Ryan 14:37 27 Jun 2005

Immediately after booting up, the New Found Hardware Wizard pops up to inform me that a cable modem has been "detected". Well, it should be - it's been connected for the last 18 months.
At this point I notice the syetem has failed to go online.

If I reboot, the problem is usually cleared up - but is there a permanent fix for this mild nuisance ?

I'm using XP Home with a cable modem on broadband.

Any advice ?

zarobian 15:16 27 Jun 2005

Remove the power from your cable modem and reconnect it back after 2/3 minutes. It will reset the modem. Hope it works for you.

Alan Ryan 15:39 27 Jun 2005

OK. Thanks. Is this a permanent "fix" or just for one time only ?

Any idea what's going on in the system background that's causing the problem ?

Stuartli 15:42 27 Jun 2005

It happens to me occasionally - unplugging and plugging in the USB modem usually cures it, but allow time for the modem to initialise again.

rawprawn 16:04 27 Jun 2005

I'm the same as Stuartli, I have a Sagem [email protected] 800-840 modem from Tiscali. They all seem to suffer with no permanent cure that I know of.

Stuartli 18:50 27 Jun 2005

You got it in one...:-)

That's with the latest drivers as well. Most of the time the modem performs faultlessly, then will have the occasional hiccup once a week or so.

Tiscali suggests on its Help page that one of the reasons for disconnections could be using a telephone extension before the 3m data RJ45 cable, but I've got a 10m data cable direct to the modem from the Master Telephone Socket.

In any case my son uses a 20m telephone extension cable to the top floor for his BB link and rarely suffers from disconnections.

zarobian 13:02 28 Jun 2005

It should fix the problem.

I prefer LAN connection then USB which is more reliable and independent of other hardware using USB ports.

zarobian 18:17 01 Jul 2005

Is your problem solved? If so please close this thread by placing a tick in the resolved box. Thanks.

Z

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?