New DVD sound connector

Condom 19:15 06 Nov 2008

I have purchased a new SATA DVD player and only just noticed that the sound connector is a differnet 10 pin connector to the one DVD it is replacing which only has 4 pins.

I'm pretty sure that the sound card I am going to use only has 4 pin connections as well. Is there an easy way way round this?

Technotiger 19:43 06 Nov 2008

Is this what you are talking about click here your question is not terribly clear.

Condom 20:13 06 Nov 2008

Technotiger
Sorry if I have not made things clear. The SATA DVD has the 2 normal SATA connectors and that is fine with no problem.

What I am having a problem with is the sound connector to my sound card. My old DVD had small in line 4 pin connectors to connect to the sound card but this new one has a 10 pin connector in two banks of 5 like the jumper settings for master/slave on IDE hard drives.

Technotiger 20:34 06 Nov 2008

Hmm, I have not been able to find any info on that one at all, perhaps you should contact the Drives' makers, or the Vendor for further info.

britto 23:43 06 Nov 2008

Four pin spdif connection between cd/dvd and soundcard,
not needed now in your case old technology for digital sound transfer,should work fine without it.

DieSse 00:55 07 Nov 2008

Please give us the details of the drive you have, so we can look at the specification.

As britto says, the old 4 pin audio connectors have been redundant for many years - the sound goes in digital form over the data cables. You could have taken out the old 4 pin cable, and everything would have still worked fine.

Condom 14:56 07 Nov 2008

My SATA DVD player is a Pioneer DVR 215DBK. I really must be a bit out of touch as I never knew that. Next time I go inside my existing PC I must remove both these cables from my two DVD drives to sound card and see if I still get sound.

Still makes me wonder what the 10 pin set up at the back of the new DVD is for. It is obviously not needed for master /slave as it is SATA. Could it be a plug in point for the sound plugs on the front of the case as I see that there is a similar 9/10 pin plug coming from there?

I did enquire of Pioneer but so far have got no response.

Condom 19:11 07 Nov 2008

Well the plot thickens. Still hadn't heard from Pioneer so I went on their site to register this DVD and couldn't do so because their site refused to recognise the Type despite there being many for sale if you google. I finally phoned them and they cannot understand why I'm having the problem as they accept that it is a known type number. They also had no idea what this 10 pin connector on the back is for and basically were asking me who adapted it and why. According to Pioneer there should only be the 2 SATA sockets on the back. I told them this was bought new from a retailer and I hadn't done anything with it nor did it look like it had been adapted. Spooky.

Further enquiries elsewhere now lead me to believe that this is a USA made Pioneer possibly not meant for the European market which might explain the unknown Type Number but not the 10 pin socket. The retailer also doesn't have a clue.

I guess this DVD player is going back next Tuesday when I return to town.

woodchip 19:19 07 Nov 2008

Your Problem is that Pioneer do not manufacture Drives, They badge them only. All drives are made by a small number of companies in the far east most likey Taiwan

Condom 20:36 07 Nov 2008

Beta
I wish I could give you a prize as I have been searching for hours. Now we know what this device is but "used only for factory production" as it says on the site means nothing to me. You would think that anything which was of no use after production would be removed as some idiot (namely myself) was quite likely to plug something into it.

Maybe one of the techies from PCA might through some light on why this is still there?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017