new DVD rw drive not visible

nhojnhoj35 11:25 01 Dec 2006

I bought a Sony DVD RW drive for my Dell PC.
It is a very good spec of pc but has never had a burner and only has one DVD ROM drive.

I initially replaced the original DVD ROM but it didnt show up in my computer as a DVD RW so I put the old one back and installed the new one as a second drive.

Now when I go in to my computer it isnt seeing the new drive at all, just the original one.

There are only two wires to connect. The wide plug and the one with the bullet connections. Should there be a third wire? And which way should the master/slave relationship be?
Help anyone please? Thanks

Technotiger 12:06 01 Dec 2006

Hi, assuming they are both on the same ide cable (the wide one), the Master should be at the End of the cable, with the Slave in the centre connection. It does not matter which is Master or Slave.

Technotiger 12:07 01 Dec 2006

PS each should of course have it's own bullet (Power) connection.

nhojnhoj35 13:17 01 Dec 2006

thx for that. i dont understand why xp is not finding the new drive?

Totally-braindead 13:19 01 Dec 2006

Personally I would have the DVD ROM as a slave in the middle connection and the DVD Writer as a master on the end connector as some DVD writers do not like being anything other than master. Don't know why but mine even came with a warning in the instructions saying they recommend its a master as if you use it as a slave it might not work properly.

Stuartli 13:50 01 Dec 2006

I have a DVD-ROM (Slave) and a Sony DVD-RW (Master) on the Secondary IDE Channel.

The ROM drive is the first device on the cable and the DVD-RW rewriter the second - both work exactly as they should and Windows configures them automatically as D for the rewriter and E for the ROM drive.

The "third wire" you mention could be an audio cable, which is not normally necessary these days with digital configuration.

nhojnhoj35 14:47 01 Dec 2006

oh ok! thx everyone.
so basically, aside from the master/slave thing if I have the two wires connected (the bullet or power) connection and the wide connection) then it should be working and it should be displayed in `my computer`?

Totally-braindead 14:51 01 Dec 2006

Yes, you connect the power cable and the ribbon cable and then the computer should see them both.

Stuartli 15:34 01 Dec 2006

If you get the Master and Slave point correct then the system will see both drives.

Both appear at present to be set to the same jumper configuration, i.e. each set on Master or Slave.

The top of the drive should have a diagram indicating the correct jumper position; jumper the rewriter as Master and the other drive as Slave.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:53 01 Dec 2006

it should be working and it should be displayed in `my computer`?
maybe

but
it should definately be shown in device manager.

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
click here
or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?