New dvd drive stops pc from booting

purdypinns1973 14:49 03 Sep 2007

Hi Any help with this would be much appreciated!

I have just got a third hand HP PC - It had no dvd drive but worked perfectly without one.

I bought a philips dvd writer and plugged it in and the pc wont boot -

I get a message saying insert bootable diskette.

I have tried the new dvd drive on my pc and everything is fine.

I created bootable diskette and still no joy. Is there anything else I can try???

Thanks

Purdypinns

total_pc 15:05 03 Sep 2007

You need to change the settings on the drive,(s).
The hard drive will have a jumper as will the dvd drive. If they are connected on the same cable the hard drive will need to be the master and the dvd a slave. If 2 separate cables should both be set to master. Might also need check in the bios if both ide channels are active..

Totally-braindead 15:29 03 Sep 2007

I would say that total_pc is right. The reason its coming up with this is the computer is probably trying to boot from the dvd drive, and of course that won't work because theres no bootable disk in it.
Check the jumpers and check what lead you are connected to. If you have just one IDE lead, thats the flat ribbon cable then the master should be your hard drive and the dvd drive should be the slave. Alternatively you can install the dvd on a second IDE cable as either master or slave as long as the hard drive is the master on the main IDE.
Heres what a jumper looks like click here and heres what I mean by the IDE lead click here sorry if I'm being too obvious but I have no knowledge of how much you know about PCs. Rather be obviuos than bamboozle you with terms.

purdypinns1973 16:43 03 Sep 2007

Thanks for the advice- Will try tonight - hopefully will work - I have not checked the jumper on the hard drive or if the ide is active in the bios - Will check both and get back Thanks!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?