new dvd - burning speed problem

nhojnhoj35 18:05 04 Feb 2006

I bought and installed a new DVD Burner last week. Its the Pioneer ND 4551 which should run at x16 speed. When I put a x8 speed disk in it won`t burn faster than about x6.
I previously had the ND 1300A drive which ran perfectly at x4.

Does it make a difference which is the master and which is the slave drive?
I think my cd player is set as master and the burner as slave.
If I change them is it as simple as changing the leads over?
Thanks in advance!!

pj123 18:13 04 Feb 2006

Are you sure it's a Pioneer? All I can find for the ND 4551 is NEC?

nhojnhoj35 18:32 04 Feb 2006

whoops. sorry its an NEC

it only burns abut x6 whether its burning from harddrive or on the fly.
also periodically the buffer runs empty then fills up again

Biotech 20:34 04 Feb 2006

I doubt there is a burner made that actually burns at the advertised rate all of the time or any of the time. The data needs to flow

Defragging might improve the data flow and keep the buffer a bit more even.

nhojnhoj35 22:08 04 Feb 2006

but its not maintaining a buffer. about 3 times per burn the buffer drops to nothing and the `read` sector drops off to almost nothing then suddenly picks up just at the last second and fills up again.
also, it says burn time will be 6mins 30 seconds but when it gets to time remaining = 0:00 the burn is only about 70% done!

madPentium 09:36 05 Feb 2006

if i run other applications while burning, the buffer drops, which is expected.
The choice of speed offered to you in nero is
dependent on the quality of disc. I had some cheap X8 dvds and it only offered me X4. God some more discs slightly more expensive and got the X8 option.

€dstowe 09:42 05 Feb 2006

Are the resulting disks OK? If they are, I wouldn't copmplain too much. So many people have so many problems getting successful DVDs written that, to them, burning at 6x and succeeding instead of 8x and failing would be an answer to their prayers.

Anyway, assuming you are using Nero, do you have the latest update for the program? It could be that Nero is not properly recognising the writer.

MIke 09:43 05 Feb 2006

Is DMA enabled on the hard drive and DVD writer? This will enabled data to be transferred more quickly to the dvd writer and should help with the cache running out.

If using XP use device manager (right click my computer then choose properties/Hardware)to enable dma expand ide ata/atapi controller tree right click on primary or secondary ide channel then in advanced tab ensure transfer mode is set to dma if available. Apololgies if you know this already

MIke

Stuartli 11:01 05 Feb 2006

If you use the image method (better quality) then you will probably need to defrag more often as the same area of the hard drive is normally used for each image.

Totally-braindead 12:40 05 Feb 2006

I have a 16x drive and so far I've only found one disk that will bur at the 16x and thats the Datawrite Titanium 16x, the others I've got burn at lower speeds, suggest you check the NEC website and see if there are tests about which disks will write at full speed. Make sure your burning software is fully up to date as well.

Totally-braindead 12:42 05 Feb 2006

Should have said, check for a firmware upgrade for your DVD writer as well, they sometimes help with issues of make of disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?