new drive

ameba 13:22 15 Sep 2004

I just got a 120 GB drive for my pc installed but nothing seems to have changed? I got a bigger drive to accomodate all the programmes I have. Although I got a bigger drive, do I also need to get more memory? I have 512 MB RAM but it says I only have 31% free.

Windows ME
Hard disc controllers
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller ( dual fifo)
VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
I thought a bigger drive would have made pc start up a lot quicker which is a bit slow.
Old drive is now slave and pc partitoned once not into two.
Can I move files, programmes, from old drive onto new drive?

stlucia 13:40 15 Sep 2004

You don't need extra memory just because you've got a bigger drive.

Startup won't be any quicker with a bigger drive unless you were having a space problem with the old drive.

You can copy files from old drive to new drive, but you'll need to reinstall programs if you want them to be on a different drive from what they're on now.

ameba 13:45 15 Sep 2004

Thanks for your help. If I install programmes to new drive, can I remove them from old drive with no affect to new drive?

stlucia 13:57 15 Sep 2004

Yes. To avoid confusion (to you and the software!) it's best to uninstall the existing program first, and then do a clean install onto your new drive. I presume you're leaving Windows ME where it is.

ameba 14:08 15 Sep 2004

Yes, I'll not touch the windows programmes or ME at all or my aol. I just want to move programmes like paint shop pro. digital camera programme and stuff I installed after I got pc.

Thanks again for your help

ameba 14:09 15 Sep 2004

forgot to click resolved......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone