New Desktop PC - Which?

harleyd 06:56 19 Jul 2009

Morning All. I'm considering the purchase of a new desktop PC, although I only need the base unit, as I've a fairly newish large flat screen monitor & cordless keyboard/mouse. I spend a lot of time on the internet selling/buying, which often means loading/downloading a lot of photographs + storing them. Not much into games & the likes but may have multiple applications on the go at any one time, besides uploading/downloading from/to various sites. E-mail volume is also heavy with often large attachments involved. Basically I'm looking for a really fast but reliable machine, which won't slow down when under pressure, good storage capacity and dare I suggest that price isn't too much of an issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction (a colleague has suggested Aldi's offering?) Many thanks

sharpamat 10:32 19 Jul 2009

I agree with your friend at the price, free upgrade to W1n 7 which even if you dont install it yet and three year warantee click here

On offer thursday make sure you get the correct pne

harleyd 18:12 20 Jul 2009

Hi sharpamat, thanks for that, I may well pick one up. Any body else any suggestions before I run with this?

OTT_Buzzard 19:11 20 Jul 2009

click here

There a base unit with the same processor and inc. operating system works out £40 cheaper. Give them a call and use the remaining money to get 6gb or more RAM and a 64 bit operating system (check compatibility with your existing software / hardware).

They are also doing w7 upgrades.

OTT_Buzzard 19:12 20 Jul 2009

I should also add that i#ve used the company in the past and found them very good to deal with.

Kevscar1 20:08 20 Jul 2009

If you want a load of photos open at the same time forget the Aldi machine and buy from somewhere which will upgrade it for you.
I have 8Gb ram running on 64 bit OS. I have had 40+ 10mp pictures open in PSP at the same time with no slowdown.

harleyd 17:19 25 Jul 2009

Hi All. Apologies for the delay, however I think I'll run with the offering suggested by OTT_Buzzard, which sounds pretty good from my angle. Once again many thanks for all your input

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?