new desk pc

YAMA 00:12 18 May 2007

need a bit od help here, I am in the market to get my self a new pc, well looked at dell offers, and seen a advertisment for a TERGA familey pc, 320hard drive--1GB memory---AMD ATHLON 64 35000+--1.02MB RAM ECT, SO any advice on them or ay other, thanks yamma

What are you going to be mainly using it for?
Also whats your budget,there are many good offers out there
Also do you want XP or vista?

The intel core 2 duo processors are better and although 1gig memory for vista is the minimum you would be better off with 2 gig

YAMA 11:02 18 May 2007

Raven thanks for the reply, well I have had this pc of mine now for about 10 yrs or more, like the look and feel of it and so over the years up graded it, but it betting a bit slow, so I was thinking instead of up again was to go for a new one, I paint and write, so hold a lot of material,and photo's, know the said take a lot of space, I have win xp pro,hd 80, and when i have trouble with it , advice from family renew, to a moern one ?? so there you go,so a good pc with not alot of money, ? thanks yama

Alan H E 14:26 18 May 2007

Have a look at Novatechs range - good service.

wee eddie 14:38 18 May 2007

Because Dell is so large it is able to source many unique parts. Although this is no problem as the machines work well and are extremely reliable.

We have had several postings here, from folk that find replacement parts have to come from Dell and are expensive. I suppose that Upgrades would run into a similar problem.

al7478 14:55 18 May 2007

I have haerd that dell are particularly unwilling to lwt one actually use the benefit of extended warranties - they dont like sending people out to you, for instance. this combined with the point above, about the unique-to-dell parts would make me think twice before using them again - my current pc is from them.

i had some trouble recently and they seemed quite unwilling to help beyond a certain poin, despite my expensive warranty. HOWEVER, i should say that was just the impression i got, when they said they would not come out to diagnose a problem, only to replace parts if necassary, and one or two people on this site have expressed similar concerns. so i would listen to what other dell users have to say on this.

YAMA 22:55 19 May 2007

Right my friend's out there I am going for apple mac, so need all info on good or bad, and what type to go for, thanks yama

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017