NEW DELL PC FREEZING

albiepalbie 18:10 07 Dec 2006

My father has just purchased a new DELL C521 and is experiencing a number of problems already. There's clearly come kind of conflict happening as it freezes on startup, shutdown, even with a screensaver. He purchased a Lexmark printer to go with it but has to unplug it to speed the machine up. The PC came pre-installed with McAfee but he chose to uninstall this and try and install his subscription copy of Norton Systemworks. I'm pretty sure that this mismatch may be causing trouble too.

Would be grateful for the help of anyone who can offer support, advice etc. I am certainly not an expert in PC problems but I do have quite a decent understanding and would like to be 'mentored' in sorting this out for him. Happy to run any tasks I need to so that you can see what I'm faced with.

Sparkly 18:13 07 Dec 2006

If your father has just purchased it get straight on to dell.

Sparkly 18:14 07 Dec 2006

If you start messing with it you could viod the warrenty.

albiepalbie 18:19 07 Dec 2006

At least we want to be clear what the issue is before we blame Dell.

albiepalbie 18:32 07 Dec 2006

Under Task Manager and processes, ezi_hnm2.exe is using 60% of resource on shutdown and CPU is 100%. Any more thoughts?

The Brigadier 18:33 07 Dec 2006

Could be a conflict between McAfee & Norton, Norton does sometimes hog the systems resources, could you delete both of them and see how the pc runs with out them?

You could then use Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic @ click here & Zone Alarm, both free and less likely to conflict with the PC.

Jackcoms 18:34 07 Dec 2006

"At least we want to be clear what the issue is before we blame Dell."

You don't know and, at this stage, we don't know either.

The two previous posts have provided the best solution.

It's new, it's presumably under warranty. Go back to Dell a.s.a.p. and describe the symptoms to them.

Don't mess around with it by un-installing a re-installing software. You could make matters worse.

skidzy 20:55 07 Dec 2006

New Dell !

You should have received the installation disc for Mcafee.

Uninstall Mcafee and Norton using there uninstallers.

Norton removal tool click here

Remove Mcafee using add and remove programs.

Run ccleaner click here and reboot the system.

ezi_hnm2.exe is a Dell network manager and is probably confused with registry entries from Norton and Mcafee,therefore causing a conflict and possibly a corrupt registry.

If you do not fancy uninstalling and reinstalling the software,try this.

Start/run type MSCONFIG and enter/select startup and untick everything except the AV and Firewall and now reboot.

You can then add one tick at a time to MSCONFIG startup entries and reboot,this will be a matter of elimination of what may be causing conflict.

Also check device manager.

Start/right click My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager
and look for any yellow exclaimation marks.

Ashrich 21:49 07 Dec 2006

ezi_hnm2.exe is part of a program called HomeNet manager , this is obviously causing a problem , uninstall it and see if it makes a difference .

Ashley

girltiger68 04:57 20 Dec 2006

My E521 is only a week old and freezes or has application hang-ups constantly, especially when I go on-line. It responded every 15" or more the first day so they reset it to original, but it is slowing down and I IE quits responding. I keep calling but they are always busy. Does his Network Assistant keep popping up?

albiepalbie 07:53 20 Dec 2006

I found that disabling the DELL Assistant helps. It's also a conflict with the Lexmark printer that was causing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?