New Dell Laptop Battery won't charge

spras 15:14 24 Mar 2010

I just bought a new 3rd party laptop battery for my Dell Studio 1555 and it is refusing to charge it. In Windows it says 'plugged in, not charging' and on a reboot if comes up with an error message saying the battery will not be charged if I boot up. Seems to be a case of Dell building in a mechanism to refuse 3rd party batteries, is there a workaround for this?

Technotiger 16:06 24 Mar 2010

Try click here or similar if you can find in UK. External laptop battery chargers are not cheap though, and not all are suitable for Dell.

Technotiger 16:09 24 Mar 2010
  Paul-1379466 16:15 24 Mar 2010

I did buy a pattern charger for my DELL some time ago & the Laptop recognised this as a none DELL charger & refused to let it charge the battery but did allow the PC to run off mains.

I have however had no problems using pattern batteries which charge & work fine. I would contact the seller & see what they say. Sometimes a new battery that is low in charge can enter 'deep discharge' and require a bit of a zap to enable it to accept charge. They may have facilities to get the battery to accept charge which then will operate normally.

spras 16:19 24 Mar 2010

I don't really want to go down the root of buying an external charger, another £40+ on that kind of defeats the point of buying a third party battery in the first place

The battery is off eBay from China, so I doubt the seller can do much about it. I have no reason to think it's a dodgy battery, the seller was sound, the battery has 42% charge and the laptop is running off the mains fine while the new battery is in place. I've done a little research and it seems this is a purposeful ploy by Dell as opposed to an issue

Paul-1379466 16:26 24 Mar 2010

Your probably right, DELL may have done this, although I would still contact the seller as items off Ebay that are classed as 'new' should work. you may get a refund.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?