New CPU - E8400 3.0Ghz 1333fsb

Patientedd 16:44 01 Aug 2009

Hi,

Got a lovely new CPU today and have made a massive schoolboy error. My motherboard doesn't seem to like it, it is an Asus P5LD2 SE, and will only do tops 1066 fsb the new CPU is a dual core E8400.

Do I have to buy a new motherboard or can i get them working together?

howard64 17:39 01 Aug 2009

even if you can it is likely that main features will not be available.

ambra4 17:40 01 Aug 2009

CPU Supported for your motherboard

click here

GaT7 17:47 01 Aug 2009

It's surprising that even works at all, as it's not officially supported (from the list - see ambra4's link).

A BIOS update to the latest version might help a little, & is definitely worth a go. click here > Download tab & take it from there. Version 1301 appears to be the latest. G

Patientedd 15:25 04 Aug 2009

Thanks for your help. Well got a new motherboard as it seemed like the best option. Now I can't get this to boot, got an Asus P5Q PRO.

Have I missed something obvious, there is definitely power, the motherboard lights up and the GPU and all fans are working but the hard drive seems to do nothing.

Stuartli 15:39 04 Aug 2009

The E8400 has been around for quite a while - it offered particularly good value in comparison with its predecessor and similar models, yet was very reasonably priced.

But it would have been wise to check out first that your motherboard was up to the CPU's requirements..:-(

Patientedd 15:58 04 Aug 2009

Well have tried the old cpu, same problem, all powers on ok but get nothing on display. So can poss rule out the fact that the new CPU is broke. Tried one stick of RAM, no good either.

Any suggestions anyone, anyone else had the same problem getting this mobo to work?

GaT7 17:38 04 Aug 2009

Have you connected the 8-pin 12V power connector? It's easy enough to miss sometimes. And remember this needs an EIGHT-pin one, not the usual 4pin one.

Also try resetting the BIOS. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017