New control panel item Windows Cardspace

terryf 00:50 13 Feb 2007

Does anyone know anything about this? is it benign or malign, should I remove it? Don't know where it came from.

Forum Editor 01:06 13 Feb 2007

click here for more information.

terryf 01:36 13 Feb 2007

Ok, its harmless but can I/should I remove it because obviously it is using resources, it is not a function that I wish to use, it appears to have been introduced by stealth, when and how I don't know.

terryf 20:25 13 Feb 2007

^

Totally-braindead 20:31 13 Feb 2007

I presume its part of the Windows Update process. If the program isn't working all the time then it will be using no resources other than a tiny bit of drive space.
If it is a windows update then it should be removeable in add/remove programs if you tick show windows updates.

terryf 20:35 13 Feb 2007

It appears to be a component of M'soft .NET Framework 3.0 (another stealthy update) and I don't want to remove that in case it causes system not to work. B***dy Microsoft, change for change sake.

Totally-braindead 20:42 13 Feb 2007

Well I just lost my use of IE7 for half an hour due to the updates changing my IE and my firewall not identifying it. Fortunatly I had Firefox on the PC as well and it worked ok not being altered and one of the nice chaps in the helproom told me what was wrong.
If I hadn't had Firefox installed as well I would have been lost.
So for what its worth I agree with your sentiments.
Because of this I have decided to turn auto updates off and choose what I want to install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?