new computers on the network

chris6891 23:17 26 Jun 2003

hey guys, a company near me are selling off old systems, pentium II 266's, i may purchase one or two, most possibly just to be there for putting junk on them over the network. At the moment i have 4 pcs networked...reasonable specs (pentium 4's and pentium 3's) the slowest pc which i do have is a pentium II 400mhz system. By the 266 statement i assume that this is the mhz at which they run at? Could someone please tell me what i should expect from a system of that speed, the RAM they have is only 32, which is a little concerning, also come with video card, sound card, network card etc....what should i expect to run on it? also any operating systems you would recommend me using on them would be appreciated also.
Thanks, Chris.

it wont be worth throwing any money at them ,but i use a cyrix m11 (p266 rating) and it runs perfectly well with 98se and can do most of what my p4 can do except play some games. everything just happens more slowly and the hard drive makes a racket, useful for backus and running old programs and hardware but if you already have 4 pc's do you really need them? but if they are cheap it could be a good way to learn about the innards of old PC's (ISA slots and all that) and overclocking something that doesnt matter when it blows up.

chris6891 23:30 26 Jun 2003

yeah thats all i want them for, experimenting different things...overclocking....breaking free of windows on them perhaps ;) wouldnt mind giving linux a go on them. thanks for ure response. i will look into it further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires