New computer recovery disks - why only one set?

Pineman100 18:11 13 Aug 2009

I've just treated myself to my first new computer for many years.

The first thing I've done is to run the procedure for creating a set of recovery disks.

The software that did this told me very firmly that only one set of recovery disks could be created.

Why?

Presumably these disks would never work on a different computer, so why am I rationed to one set? If I were to damage or lose them, what's the problem with allowing me to create more?

I've also created an Acronis image, so I am covered with belt and braces, but I just wondered why I'm limited on the disks.

Anyone know?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 13 Aug 2009

Because theoretically you can take those disks and reapply the image to another identical computer and this would invalidate the licensing agreement.

Pineman100 18:41 13 Aug 2009

But would that work? I thought that an OEM Windows installation would only ever work on the computer it's originally installed on.

And I assumed that the image created by the recovery disks would be similarly "locked" to the one computer.

cream. 18:49 13 Aug 2009

"I thought that an OEM Windows installation would only ever work on the computer it's originally installed on"

An OEM disk will work on any computer, if it has the right code.

"so why am I rationed to one set?"

How many disks do you get if you buy windows OEM or retail?

One.

If you want backup copy's of the windows disk, you burn them with a decent software package. The same with the disks you created on the new computer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 13 Aug 2009

But would that work?

Yes

My Nieces had two identical Toshiba's for Xmas Discs burnt but both were corrupt (luckily on different files).

When one machine crashed and would not reset Vista from the F8 menu, my sister attempted to restore from the DVDs but being corrupt that failed also.

I managed to work out wich files were corrupt on the restore DVDs and efectively combinded the "good" file of both and made a new restore DVD to repair the machine.

Now also backed up with an Acronis Image as belt and braces.

Pineman100 19:08 13 Aug 2009

Ah, but that's a cunning Fruit Bat /\0/\ solution!

I bet the average user (and that means me!) couldn't work around that problem.

Anyway, thanks to you both for the answer to my question. I'm very surprised that the recovery disks could be used on any computer (and I don't honestly see why limiting the user to one set of disks is any kind of solution to piracy), but I have the answer to my question.

Many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone