New computer purchase advise please

daisy2bell 11:07 09 Jan 2005

I'm not sure which one of these would be the better buy quality wise etc.
Dell or HP
The thing that sort of puts me off Dell is the negative things that were said about it recently.

Also the HP from Dixons can be taken home from the store.
All I need realy is advice on the overall quality and reliability of these 2 makes
Thanks

bremner 11:10 09 Jan 2005

You are choosing between possible the largest two manufacturers of computers in the world.

You will hear complaints about both, but the reality is that neither got where they are by supplying sub standard products or offering poor after sales support.

Decide on your spec and then just go for whichever grabs you the most.

rawprawn 11:15 09 Jan 2005

I bought a new Dell 2 years ago, and I have been very pleased with both the computer and the service.

DrScott 12:01 09 Jan 2005

... seem to be pretty good imo. I think if I was ever to purchase a branded computer I would choose Dell... building your own is so much more satisfying though :)

Totally-braindead 12:50 09 Jan 2005

Both are reliable enough, personally I'd go for the Dell. Theres a lot more happy customers with them than unhappy ones. Unfortunatly when you read the posts in the Forum you tend to see the bad things said rather than all the good ones. I mean its not really realistic for everyone to post that their computer from XXX works. Try to ensure whoever you buy from that the PC is upgradable, make sure that it has an AGP slot for the graphics and at least one free slot for more memory.

Splodge 12:57 09 Jan 2005

I bought a Sony, without the Monitor to save money and it is a beauty: 64-bit, Hyper-Threading 120Gb HD 512DDR Ram. Under £800.

Now they have been going a while, their queries line is superb. They will stay with you till the problem is solved, or collect and return at their expence!

The only down-side: Their XP operating disk insists on splitting the HD into 2 (flexible-size) divisions. But I have got used to it!

thegripper 12:58 09 Jan 2005

I would also say that there's not much between them.

More important is buying the right spec for what you want to do with it, and to have the options for upgrading in the future.

Totally-braindead 13:00 09 Jan 2005

Another company to consider is click here they build good PCs at a good price but although their aftersales service is excellent I can't comment on their support for a new PC, perhaps someone else can comment about that.

daisy2bell 14:46 09 Jan 2005

Thanks for that guys. Since my post I have also been looking at

"Packard Bell" and

"EMachines"

Any info on these please
Thanks

thegripper 15:00 09 Jan 2005

I bought an e-machines PC for my mother in law from PC World. No problems at all in 6 months.

daisy2bell 14:31 10 Jan 2005

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone