New computer not starting, turning off and turning

danfromnz 03:34 29 Mar 2017

Hi there,

Just over 12 months ago I purchased a new computer with the following specifications:

InWin 503 ATX Chassis - Mid-tower - White - Tempered Glass Gigabyte Z170-HD3 ATX Socket 1151 SanDisk 240GB SSD Plus 2.5" SATA III SSD Microsoft Windows Home 10 32-bit/64-bit English USB Deepcool GamMAXX 300 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400Mhz CL15, For Z1 Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 64MB 1TB Hard Drive 3.5 inch S-AT Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 GV-N950WF2OC-2GD 2G Overclocking PCI-E Deepcool Z5 Thermal Paste with 10% Silver Oxide Compounds Intel SKYLAKE Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz Socket 1151 Box without Cooler FSP Group Raider 650W 80 Plus Silver 120mm Fan 5 Years Warranty

A month ago it just turned itself off. For some time it wouldn't turn itself back on, but after I unplugged it, pulled all the cables out and plugged them back in it started working fine again. After a week or two I noticed that after shutting the computer down it would start back up. I sent the computer back to the supplier who advised the motherboard was faulty and it had been replaced. They said that following replacement they put it through a 3 hour, then a 1 hour stress test, and it was working fine.

Last night I got the computer back, set it up, and sure enough it was working fine. This morning it shut down on me again. Now when I turn the power on it all lights up, the fans are spinning, but nothing else happens. No beeps, the screen doesn't turn on, yet power is still running to the fans and motherboard.

I have checked every plug, pulled the Ram out and tried starting it with just one chip in, the only thing I am left to try is pull the whole computer apart and assemble it on a cardboard box and attach everything one component at a time and see if I can find the faulty part.

The supplier said the motherboard was tested, and was faulty that's why they replaced it. It seems very unlikely to me that I would be unlucky enough to get two faulty motherboards in a row.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Archonar 08:53 29 Mar 2017

Turning on with everything running and a blank screen is a very common problem, with a large number of causes.

As a starter here is a huge list of potential solutions to try: click here. The one that I recommend doing first is installing a system speaker if you don't already have one so that you can see if there are any error codes being produced when you power on the pc

Anil Sharma 09:04 29 Mar 2017

same problem with me but they said something wrong with ram not with motherboard.

danfromnz 09:37 29 Mar 2017

Thanks, I do have a PC speaker attached. I don't get any beeps what so ever, not even the single beep you normally get when you first turn it on.

I have read that many motherboard manufacturers are having trouble with DDR4 dual channel ram and the Z170 chipset. I have tried taking one of the RAM modules out though and it doesn't make a difference.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:16 29 Mar 2017

it has on board graphics try removing the graphics card and connecting to on board graphics to see if its booting.

danfromnz 23:13 29 Mar 2017

Thanks for your advice.

Unfortunately I tried removing the graphics card last night and booting it off the onboard but the result was exactly the same.

To me, it can only be the PSU, CPU or I am somehow unlucky enough to have gotten a second faulty motherboard. I will send the PC back for another warranty claim, hopefully they will diagnose and repair it properly this time.

danfromnz 05:21 31 Mar 2017

So the supplier has just emailed saying it started fine for them, and that it must be something I am plugging in to it. I find this unrealistic as I unplugged everything, and couldn't get it to boot when all I had plugged in was 1 stick of ram (tried both sticks individually), the SSD and HD, booting off onboard graphics plugged through HDMI to my TV. At a bare minimum I should at least get a single beep when it boots in to the bios unless it is motherboard or CPU related shouldn't I?

Unless there is a pinched wire that is earthing on the case somewhere that shifted in transit.

Bris 10:28 31 Mar 2017

Unplug the SSD & HDD and see if it powers up.

danfromnz 05:48 03 Apr 2017

I'll give that a try and see. Don't hard drives load up after the bios boot though? It's not even booting in to the bios which I thought could only be the Ram, mobo, cpu or graphics card?

Archonar 09:01 03 Apr 2017

Don't hard drives load up after the bios boot though

Yes they do, your hard drives shouldn't affect you getting to the BIOS splash screen at the very lest. It's worth a try though in case they are causing some sort of electrical issue.

Just to check, have you had it plugged into the same wall socket the entire time? Whilst I am highly doubtful this is causing the issue, maybe try a different one as sometimes wall sockets can cause issues. Just trying to think of things that have changed since it apparently worked fine at the repair shop.

Sky_wayne 09:35 03 Apr 2017

If you did not fix the problem by troubleshooting since you were not able to hear the beep code then try another way around. Check the causes of electrical shots inside your computer and test your power supply. If you found any problem in it, try to replace essential hardware in your computer with an equivalent piece of hardware. If everything of it fails and does not solve the problem then maybe its time for you to seek professional help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires