New computer - No sound

Biffette43 20:42 06 Oct 2009

I have just bought a reconditioned computer - and I can't get any sound on it. I had this problem with my last computer, I know I had to download Everest and then download up to date drivers for my soundcard - but forget where I look etc. Can anybody help please?

Eric10 20:52 06 Oct 2009

Everest click here
SIW click here
Belarc Advisor click here

Stuartli 20:55 06 Oct 2009

Go to Device Manager and, under Sound, Video and Games Controllers, check if any Sound Device is listed.

If it's on-board sound, you may have to Enable it (perhaps listed under AC '97) in the Bios.

You can use SIW instead of Everest to check out the system's software, hardware etc from:

click here (freeware)

Stuartli 20:59 06 Oct 2009

If a sound device is listed in Device Manager, you can let Windows search the Internet for drivers by right clicking on the device's listing>Update Driver (or highlighting>Properties>Driver tab>Update driver).

Biffette43 22:21 06 Oct 2009

Have run Belarc Advisor and it shows the above Multimedia - None detected - which I'm assuming means no video/sound card. We took a Radeon 9200 SE card out of the old computer - if we install this will this sort out the sound problem - I am also unable to run Second Life as it says there is no video driver or it is out of date

Stuartli 22:58 06 Oct 2009

Which Radeon 9200SE 128 MB DDR card do you have?

See:

click here

click here

ATi support and downloads at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone