new computer but no broadband

joban 15:44 20 Sep 2010

Hi,

I have a friend who somewhat late in life is going to buy a laptop (no previous computer experience) and asked for my advice on what to buy. I can do that bit & decided that as Comet is close by it would be a good idea to go there & she can then use their installation and setup service.
I am not at all technical, although I can with time sort out my own problems, but I don't know whether she should organise a broadband connection (currently BT phone) before buying, or the other way round.
Any advice would be appreciated please.

Jo

Clapton is God 16:06 20 Sep 2010

Probably best to arrange BB a.s.a.p. because, if your friend hasn't used BB before, it'll take some time to 'activate' her phone line for first-time BB use.

I'm sure that she won't want to hang around waiting for activation AFTER she's bought here laptop.

northumbria61 16:08 20 Sep 2010

Either way, if you intend to use the laptop at home you will need a Broadband Connection. You would have to place an order with your intended ISP and that would take a few days, so depends on whenever you choose to purchase the laptop I suppose.

joban 16:26 20 Sep 2010

Responses so far very helpful, thank you.
I was thinking of taking her down the wireless route - presumably that will mean some extra equipment (I'm cable so unsure of the setup with BT)
What would be the simplest method please?

Jo

onthelimit 16:31 20 Sep 2010

Most routers provided by ISPs these days are wireless and all laptops are. Easy to set up, too.

northumbria61 16:48 20 Sep 2010

I am with BT and have the new Home Hub V.2 (Black) for the past 17 months and no problems whatsoever.
Easy to setup. But there are lots of choices. Just remember, the cheapest isn't always the best.

joban 17:01 20 Sep 2010

Many thanks for the replies. All very useful

Jo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017