New Computer connecting to AOL

ferrispedro 17:57 09 Dec 2008

I have recently bought a new HP Pavilion Slimline S3624 and I sometimes have a connection problem with AOL.(I am using a Speedtouch 580 for my kids laptop wireless connectivity.) When I click on Internet Explorer it tries to connect then fails with the message "screen name error" at which point I sign in to AOL and all is well.I am sure that a couple of days ago it just connected without me having to sign in first.Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Also as I now have Vista Home Premium do I have to download AOL 9 VR Many thanks.

stlucia 19:20 09 Dec 2008

I've been having occasional connection problems with AOL, which I initially put down to a firewall update which I'd just done. But I still from time to time get "Authentication Services error ..." when the AOL connection software is trying to check my password. It's not my modem because when I get the error it's already connected itself to the internet and it's found AOL, it's just unable to check my password. I now think it must be an AOL thing.

As for AOL9.0VR, I believe that's needed for compatibility with AOL's current system -- not for compatibility with your PC or operating system. When I recently got a new PC and installed my old AOL software on it, it wouldn't connect because it was missing all the automatic updates which had taken place on my old PC. They sent me a 9.0VR CD. But, if you've managed to connect to AOL, your software should by now have been automatically updated as necessary.

ferrispedro 15:25 10 Dec 2008

Many thanks, Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?