New Computer

Granddad Ray 09:25 02 Mar 2006

I have just received a new computer and would like to transfer some of the data my Outlook Express and Internet Explorer, ie Adresses,InBox and SentItems in Outlook and Favorites in Explorer. Is there any way I can do this?
Ray

De Marcus™ 09:38 02 Mar 2006

If your old computer is using XP you can use the files and settings transfer wizard.

You'll be given the option of doing a direct cable connection using serial ports, over a network if installed, to a floppy or removeable drive.

De Marcus™ 09:39 02 Mar 2006

Sorry that can be found by going to start > all programs, accessories, system tools, files and settings transfer wizard.

Granddad Ray 11:24 02 Mar 2006

Thanks De Marcus I found the option very easily.
However when I came to Outlook and Explorer I could only find and option for 'Settings' would this cover the transfer of my required data?
Ray

Gongoozler 11:33 02 Mar 2006

If you want to transfer all your emails, you may find it easier to search your old computer for all files with the extension .dbx. In Windows Explorer you may have to click on Tools - Folder Options - View, and put the dot in "Show hidden files and folders. Copy these files to a temporary location on your new computer, and then in Outlook Express, File - Import - Messages - Microsoft Outlook Express 6, then navigate the import wizard to your saved messages.

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:35 02 Mar 2006

Have you selected "old computer"

terryf 11:52 02 Mar 2006

From one grandad to another, download a trial of EA8, do a backup, transfer this and EA8 to the new PC, then do an EA8 restore, this will transfer everything except the kitchen sink

Pamy 12:07 02 Mar 2006

What is and where do you download EA8

terryf 12:23 02 Mar 2006

Pamy, go to click here

wjrt 13:10 02 Mar 2006

click here

or this way

Granddad Ray 14:37 02 Mar 2006

I have transferred all of my normal data to my laptop. Thanks to all your help I have found and copied the .dbx files for Outlook. The last remaining thing is to copy my Favorites from Internet Explorer to CD-R. How do I do this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?