New comp XP Corrupt

PUNKA 16:46 05 Apr 2005

Hi my nephew has a new PC after starting it up message says that the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up CD ROM
select r at the first screen to start repair.
Only problem is it is pre installed and he does not have backup disk.
Any help apreciated.

billyliv 17:04 05 Apr 2005

Hi, Take it back. Cheers, Bill

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 05 Apr 2005

If its new then return it and ask for the back up disks.

download boot disks from click here

extract system from c:\i386 and copy to c:\windows\system32\config\

handful 17:52 05 Apr 2005

There is a way from recovering from this problem by going into recovery console and replacing the corrupt system 32 files (Let me know if you want it and I'll have a look for it later but it doesn't always work believe me) My advice would be take it back or you may be cursed like I was. Numerous occasions like yours which also resulted in loads of reformats and endless hours of setting up and reinstalling and personalising programmes. After 2 years of hassle and expense buying an external hd and Norton Ghost to help recover, I did resolve it almost by accident with a bios update. (more by luck than judgement)I wouldn't advocate doing that on a brand new machine though.

VoG II 17:55 05 Apr 2005
  jbp1982 18:13 05 Apr 2005

Typed half a post and it dissappeared....hmmmm. Sorry if it comes up.

I wouldn't be bothered, take it to the shop, let them deal with and get XP/backup/restore disks off them.

But if ya don't wanna do that follow the advice of the those guys ^

Makes me angry that firms try to penny pinch by not giving these out!

Kind Regards

JBP

PUNKA 16:54 06 Apr 2005

Thanks to all. I went to Fruitbats site and for a small fee was able to d/load the necessary files/applications to sort it, did a clean install and away we go.

handful 17:47 06 Apr 2005

Glad you got it sorted but if it happens again I would definitely take it back. In my experience if you are succeptible to this problem it has a nasty habit of happening again:-( fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie