New cmos battery every month

Built a new PC in November. Have built many PC`s in the past so not a novice. However--- I am having to replace the cmos battery every month. Suspect the mobo has a fault but am hesitant to take it back for the vendor to test in case they have to test it until another battery dies. Any suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:10 09 Mar 2007

short to frame on one of the standoffs?

woodchip 18:15 09 Mar 2007

It will not be a direct short as it would go dead overnight. It can only be fault in MOBO.

Or just try this, but don't think it will be. Remove all USB devices when you shut the computer down. i.e remove USB plugs. You can only do this for the same length of time as above. to test if it still goes dead

Hi Fruitbat. Don`t think thats the problem.

Woodchip---why do you think USB devices would drain the battery?

woodchip 18:25 09 Mar 2007

USB still as power even when the compis switched of. As does the MOBO, the MOBO is not dead as to power by just turning off with shut down button. You could also check the battery, by turnning the wall plug switch off each time you shut down. This would save pulling the USB

woodchip 18:26 09 Mar 2007

Personally I think the board needs replacing

Woodchip I think you`re right.The board needs replacing. Hope i`m gonna be able to convince the vendor.

Fingees 18:43 09 Mar 2007

I had this problem a few years ago, and accidently found it was caused by a faulty memory.

I found out because I had two sticks of memory, and took one out to use temporary in another computer. My cmos battery did not go dead that time.

Even though the memory read ok through all tests it must have been taking extra current when the computer switched off.

I replaced it, then the Cmos kept going for years.

Just a thought.

woodchip 18:46 09 Mar 2007

That was my point in saying the above, It's just finding where the leake is. it may be worth a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?