new build probs

jonnytub 02:01 30 Jan 2004

hi all, i've saved for 2 months for this day (morning), i went out and bought all the parts neccessary for my new build computer (except for processor which is on order xp2600+, so i borrowed an 1800+ just to get set up)anyhow, evrything went smoothly, hardware, software the whole lot was easier than i thought up until i realise theres no sound coming from my system, and the drivers that came with the board don't seem to be working. I've tried alsorts including a driver update which did not help at all, it replaced the us version with a uk version (language change only???????). Your eyes are all probably closing just about now as mine are but i'll be here for 15 mins to see if anyones still up

hugh-265156 02:07 30 Jan 2004

what is the mobo make/model no please?

hugh-265156 02:08 30 Jan 2004

and have you got the speakers plugged into the correct jack?

try headphones in the jack to rule out a speaker fault.

jonnytub 02:11 30 Jan 2004

speakers are fine, just tested them, mobo is a jetway n2pap lite

hugh-265156 02:29 30 Jan 2004

just in case,have you also checked there are no ticks in any mute boxes in control panel/sounds and audio devices.also untick "digital output only" from the volume/advanced menu.

jonnytub 02:30 30 Jan 2004

i've just realised that because i have an upgrade version of xp pro and had to preinstall 98se. the drivers were also installed as 98. I had to uninstall the 98 drivers before installing the xp drivers. Thanks for your time anyhow huggyg71.

jonnytub 02:31 30 Jan 2004

probably cos ive been working on this for 5 solid hours, cutting holes here and there for nice shiny cathode lights.

Migwell 07:37 30 Jan 2004

You didn't need to install 98 first in fact you are a lot botter off if you don't. You just go ahead with the XP it fresh install and it will ask about your previous opperating system just to see if it exists, all you need to do at this point is swap the CD in the drive for the 98 version and then swap back after it has asked for the XP disk. Saves a lot of time. You can start with a clean un-formatted drive with no partition on it if you wish and XP will also do all that for you. Clever aint it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?