New Build Problems - MoBo won't post

Sic 11:13 28 Nov 2006

I have recently done a semi new build using an ASRock Dual VSTA 775 motherboard. I have a new Core 2 Duo chip (retail with heatsink and fan) and am re-using some Crucial DDR 333 ram and an ASUS 6800 GFX card. Also a new 580 watt modular power supply.

When the system is put together the board powers up instantly, power button does not work and the reset button turns the board off (have checked and played with the headers in every permutation to check for incorrect labelling!).

However the board won't post and the screen is blank. So send back as DOA or any other tips? I know a few of you guys have built using this board so all help welcome!

Gongoozler 11:33 28 Nov 2006

Try with NOTHING connected to the motherboard except the power supply, processor with heatsink, power switch and case speaker. You should then get an error POST beep. If you don't, reset the BIOS, either using the reset link or by removing the battery for about 30 minutes.

rodriguez 11:58 28 Nov 2006

Try Gongoozler's suggestion first and if that doesn't work, send the board back. The bit that concerns me is how the power comes on as soon as it's plugged in without the power button working and the reset button switches the machine off. This shouldn't happen whatever's plugged into it and it gives an idea that something isn't right with the board. Try another PSU as well to see if that's causing any problems.

Sic 12:01 28 Nov 2006

Cheers for the tips. I have tried the PSU in my old build and it works great, no problems at all, same for all the other components apart from the two i cant test, the MOBO and the new chip.

I agree that the board powering up even with all the front panel headers left unplugged is what worries me.

gudgulf 12:02 28 Nov 2006

I'd go one step further than Gongoozlers excellent suggestion and remove the motherboard from the case.

Place it on the foam pad that came with the board or a piece of card/newspaper to insulate it and connect as Gongoozler says.

If you do that you remove the possibility of the motherboard shorting out against the risers in the computer case.

You should then get an error beep.If so add a stick of memory and the graphics card.Connect the monitor and boot the system ....You should now get the initial BIOS check screens displaying.

If not and resetting the CMOS doesn't work....check that the cpu and all necessary power connectors are properly fitted.Go through the manual and check any jumper settings to make sure that nothing is set to a "shipping" state or anything other than the default.For example some boards ship with the clear CMOS jumper in the "clear" position.

PS I will be rebuilding a friends pc on one of those boards this week (with a Pentium D) and will be using one myself with a C2D cpu in the near future to start making the transition to PCI-e.Makes this thread all the more interesting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone