new build pc advice needed

russ777 23:22 28 Oct 2010

Hi,

I’m thinking of building my first PC. But as I’m pretty new to this (I've only ever replaced/updated parts) I was hoping I could get some advice on the new system I'm planning and how it compares to my old system?

New system
- 650w power supply (taken from my old pc)
- Zalman MS1000-HS1 Mid Tower Case
- Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard
- Intel core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket LGA1366
- Corsair XM53 8GB 12800 1600mhz DDR3 Memory
- Nvidia 1024MB GEFORCE 9800GT (taken from my old pc till i can afford my new one)
- My DVD drive will be my old one for now.

Old System
- 650w power supply
- ASUS P5K-E/WIFI motherboard
- Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz
- 8GB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz memory
- Nvidia 1024MB GEFORCE 9800GT

Thanks for you help.

northumbria61 08:26 29 Oct 2010

I would read this first - click here

And this -
click here

gengiscant 08:44 29 Oct 2010

This is a great board. However you may want to take a look at the ASUS P6X58D-E or the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R which are both cheaper and in my opinion offer better value for money.
You do not mention a case,this is other item which can make putting the PC together a easy or difficult experience. Then there is overall cooling and whether it is easy to access the various components when you want to upgrade etc.

Another site I use for building advice which is more specialized than PCAdvisor is click here

I spend a lot of time comparing components before buying, checking compatibility etc.So you are right in seeking others opinions.
Good luck with your build.

russ777 10:43 29 Oct 2010

Thanks for the help. I shall have a look at the links.

I did look at the ASUS P6X58D-E and compared the spec with the Asus P6X58D Premium. They both looked very similar to a novice like me. The reason I picked the P6X58D Premium was because I was told this was future proof and ready for next Intel chips. Is this the same for the P6X58D-E and GA-X58A-UD3R?

The case I'm planning on going for is the Zalman MS1000-HS1 which looking at the review on Novatech has paths for wires lots of room and a filter to stop dust getting into the system, also it looks cool!!

gengiscant 11:17 29 Oct 2010

If you are talking of cool cases,I have just bought this click here

As for your earlier query about future proofing, thats a difficult question to answer,next Intel chips will likely need new motherboards,click here so it would seem that you would not be future proofing, so unless you really feel the need for a high end board because it offers features you want, save your money and get a cheaper mobo and put what you save to-wards a decent graphics card.

russ777 20:25 30 Oct 2010

I was thinking for a graphics card the Ati FirePro v5800. Read a good review for it in my 3d magazine and I think I prefer them to the Nvidia ones.

russ777 20:36 30 Oct 2010

this was the video review I watched that said the P6X58D Premium was ready for the next chipset something called the "Golftown" or something along them lines. He talks about it at 7mins 30 secs in the video.

But if you tell me this has changed then I think i'll go for a cheaper motherboard that you have recomended.

click here

GaT7 22:17 30 Oct 2010

Any particular reason for the Ati FirePro v5800? Did you know that it's a workstation-type graphics card more suited to CAD & DCC (click here), than playing 3D games?

Another vote here for the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R or Asus P6X58D-E - reviews click here & click here. G

russ777 23:15 30 Oct 2010

Yeah thats going to be the main use for my system, 3d graphics, using Maya, 3ds max, z-brush, photoshop etc. then the one game, Sorry I might have forgot to mention this.

Thats the reason I was going to go for the FirePro 5800 andit also had a good review in my 3d magazine this month.

russ777 23:18 30 Oct 2010

Thanks for the motherboard review links I'm going to read these tomorrow and make my mind up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?