New Build P/C

carver 10:06 12 Aug 2009

Decided to build a new P/C for my Son, main use will be for gaming so need a bit of help as far as CPU is concerned.

Have narrowed it down to one of these two

click here-(SLBEJ)-Socket-1366-(B)-Nehalem-266GHz-QPI-48GT-s-Cache-8MB-130W-Retail

click here

But I am not sure which one to go for, he will also be having a new graphic card click here,

Motherboards are another thing to bother about, I have a good idea if I get the Core 2 Duo but no idea for the Intel-i7, so any ideas about that would also be welcome.

PSU he has is OK it's a new 720W so that should handle most things, and hard drive he is using is 500GB so do not have to bother about that.

Just have to make up my mind which is the better CPU to go for.

I am Spartacus 11:41 12 Aug 2009

The E8XXX series are still reckoned to be the better than the Core i7 for gaming. I would be tempted to save a bit of cash and go for the E8500 and overclock to around 4GHz.

If there's the likelihood of any video editing/rendering then the Q9650 is still very impressive and many will clock to 4GHz also and still run relatively cool with an aftermarket heatsink.

OTT_Buzzard 12:06 12 Aug 2009

I'm of a slightly different opinion to I am Spartacus.

The Core i7 processors are specifically designed for gaming and media applications. Although their headline freq figures look lower, the processor architecture allows for very impressive results.

The downside to them is that to make the most, you will need at least 6GB triple channel DDR3, a motherboard to support it and a 64 bit operating system. If you need to buy an operating system this may not be an issue, if not it's additional cost.

If your budget allows, try this:

click here (£157)

click here (£219)

click here (£76)

click here (£180)

Just a note on factory overclocked graphics cards; chose your case very carefully - they produce a lot of heat! For the performance gains that you get, i'd think about getting a standard card and use rivatuner or equivelant to overclock it. That should save you about £20 and you have more control over it.

OTT_Buzzard 12:10 12 Aug 2009

Additional: although the Core 2 Duo Exxx series may give better results on some games at the moment, the same will not be true in a couple of years time. More and more applications are being written to properly utilise quad core technology. If you can, my opinion is that it's better to spend the money now on either a Core 2 Quad (e.g. the Q9650 I am Spartacus pointed out) or a Core i7.

That way you will get better longevity out of your new PC.

GaT7 13:19 12 Aug 2009

"main use will be for gaming" - if this is the case, go for an older gen quad-core & get the best graphics card you can afford. This would be my suggestions:

- Intel Q6700 click here = £129
- Akasa Nero HSF (to overclock the CPU if required) click here = £24
- DFI Blood Iron BI P45-T2RS (Crossfire-enabled) click here = £75
- Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz click here = £39
- ATI HD4890 graphics card (with the option to add another later) = ~£130 (from various stores)

Total = ~£400, with arguably similar performance (in games) to a similar i7/GTX275 system that costs £250 more. Add another 4890 & you have a more powerful system for £120 LESS. G

carver 15:07 12 Aug 2009

Many thanks for info, hadn't thought about Quad Core but it's worth thinking about, he doesn't do a lot of video editing but that might change.

I wanted to upgrade it so that it should still be able to play games in say 2 years with out running into to many problems.

I know that as far as any upgrade is concerned it's out of date the moment you order the parts, but you can only try.

Once again thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?