New build pc

bilko 07:09 29 Dec 2007

I am thinking of rebuilding my pc which I made up about 4 years ago. I am looking at an Asus motherboard(ASUS SKT-AM2 M2A-VM HDMI)but it has only one ide channel(plus sata of course)I would like to keep my original hard drives(3).I have a promise pci card installed to enable the 3x hdd and 3 optical drives to be connected. What are my options? Many thanks for looking.

€dstowe 07:40 29 Dec 2007

If you're building new, use new components, not things rescued from something which, in computer terms, is approaching an antique.

In addition, mechanical parts such as hard drives wear out and become less reliable. Much better using all new and consigning old components to where they belong - the spares box.

Gongoozler 08:00 29 Dec 2007

My computer was new in 1995, but since then, after successive incremental upgrades there's nothing left of the original - and I can see another bit of major
surgery coming along soon!
I can't see any problem using your Promise card, but I would recommend that you fit the drive with Windows on directly to the motherboard IDE socket. You don't say how old your hard drives are, or what their capacity - but with hard drives being so cheap, if any of the drives is very old or low capacity it might be time to replace one or two.

bilko 08:05 29 Dec 2007

The hard drives in question are 2x WD Caviar 80GB and a Samsung (I think) which is 160Gb all of which were fitted when system built. I would like to keep them due to data on them but need faster machine to play some of the newer games all of which need a faster processor hence the need to upgrade.

ICF 08:09 29 Dec 2007

The limiting factor is how much you have to spend!

Hard drives are cheap only if you have the money.

Bilko what is your budget?

bilko 08:13 29 Dec 2007

I have looked on Dabs etc and have priced up the package to be around £200 for new motherboard, processor and memory. Obviously I would like to keep it as cheap as possible hence the need to use the existing hard drives etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?