New Build Change

*Silver*Hawk* 11:34 24 Dec 2004

Hello, some might remember me from yesterday as I was building a new pc. I was set on using an amd athlon 3000 mobo kit, but now I have changed my mind as there is a amd athlon 64 mobo kit which is cheaper. Has anyone had any experience with amd 64s as I am completely new to them. Are they easy to install? or basically the same as socket A, I have only ever installed socket A processors. They can also run under the current windows xp pro sp2 can they not? Just wondering if I should go for this change or not and what improvements will I see. Thanks in advance, and also does anyone know the multiplier settings or where I can get them.

*Silver*Hawk* 11:34 24 Dec 2004

Actually I don't think it is athlon, just AMD 64 3000.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:41 24 Dec 2004

Its just the same as installing ny other AMD chip.

If it is a mobo chip then it may come prefitted to the board.

Gongoozler 11:46 24 Dec 2004

"and what improvements will I see?". I don't think you'll see much in the way of improvements yet, but when software optimised for 64bit processing comes along, I think the improvements will be quite exiting.

*Silver*Hawk* 11:46 24 Dec 2004

That's what I thought. Could, you tell me about pentium processors and what to take into consideration when buying them. I heard they need the good ventilation, so choosing a good case is vital is this true? Thanks.

*Silver*Hawk* 11:49 24 Dec 2004

I thought 32bit apps will run at full blast, wouldn't this be a drastic improvement?

Gongoozler 12:22 24 Dec 2004

These two comparisons look like they might give you the sort of information you need

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?