new build blues

thosjc 22:03 30 Sep 2008

Please help. Ive just assembled a new computer but have no display output. The system is Asus P5KC motherboard, Intel E8500 and Sapphire Radeon 4850 and the case is an Antec 300. The first problem is that the case does not seem to have a chassis speaker tho the MBoard has the pins for one. I think this is why I dont hear any POST bleeps so cant tell if the system is failing at start up. But there appears to be no signal from the Radeon. Nothing appears on the monitor - which I know is OK. Ive checked all the connections, the card is seated properly in the correct PCI-E slot and the additional power lead to the card is attached OK. All the fans are operating OK.
CAn someone help?

baldydave 22:33 30 Sep 2008

Have you connected the 4 pin motherboard power connector next to rear connectors top left of motherboard

baldydave 22:40 30 Sep 2008

might need bios update to 1203 to recognise cpu
click here
also
click here

I am Spartacus 22:54 30 Sep 2008

Does the graphics card fan spin?

Even with the wrong BIOS (and it should work with 0903 upwards) you should get a message on screen.

MarvintheAndroid 23:10 30 Sep 2008

The motherboard will have a built in piezo speaker for beeps, you don't need another speaker connected at this stage.

What power supply are you using, you may not be getting enough amps.

Marv

I am Spartacus 23:27 30 Sep 2008

None of my 4 Asus boards have 'built in speakers'.

MarvintheAndroid 23:42 30 Sep 2008

Little black thing about 15mm across and 15mm high. None of my PCs have speakers built in and they all beep.

Marv

I am Spartacus 00:04 01 Oct 2008

Doesn't look like Asus actually fits a speaker. The connections are on the motherboard for one though.

woodchip 10:11 01 Oct 2008

If you have a old tranny Radio you can use the speaker out of this solder two wires these can be plugged onto either of the two speaker output pins

woodchip 10:12 01 Oct 2008

PS just tape it inside the box

thosjc 19:36 01 Oct 2008

thanks to all who have tried so far. Just to clarify a few things - yes I have connected the 4 pin motherboard cable and the graphics card does spin. Power supply is an ARCTIC 700 watt. Dont see a peizo speaker. Ill try the 'woodchip' suggestion but might it be worth clearing the CMOS as I read somewhere that an incorrect BIOS setting might prevent the PC from booting (of course without the POST sounds and no graphics I dont even know if it is booting). Do keep suggestions coming. All gratefully received.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

How artist Alex Yanes worked with his daughter on this bright 3D mural for Monument Valley 2

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le lancement du Galaxy Note 8 en direct ?