New Browser ?!

Furkin 08:47 11 Mar 2010

ACER T120 DeskTop- XPpro- SP3- IE8- 2gb RAM (max)

After yesterday Updates, I was invited to consider other browsers at start up today.

I have only ever used I.E & been pretty satisfied overall. Since updateing to IE8 tho', my machine does run just a bit slower & it dosn't have the usual SpellChecker/s. (I did try the IE7 one, but it came with too much baggage [unless I did sommat wrong])

Not life threatening, but I was wondering what the pro's & con's are for each of the featured ones.

I can't remember what they were now (Bing wasn't amongst them), so will write them down next time I boot up.

Furkin 08:52 11 Mar 2010

Google Chrome (tried it - don't like it) + Opera + Flock + Safari + Maxthon + Firefox + Flashpeak + K-Melean + Avant + Green
+ Sleipnir

rawprawn 08:53 11 Mar 2010

IE 8 Spell Checlick here,
Firefox,Google Chrome and Opera are the ones I can remember.
I use IE 8 as Default because it happens to be the one I prefer, but I have Firefox installed and occasionally use that. You can happily install more than one browser.

birdface 09:47 11 Mar 2010

Try this it will speed up your Browsing with Internet Explorer.

click here

Make sure Ad-blocker is ticked and Mini Download manager is unticked if you decide to use it.

Belfix 10:31 11 Mar 2010

How can I "hide" this update for Vista. I definitely don't want it as I had trouble with the XP update on 2 machines. I know I can choose to hide updates on XP but cannot find it for Vista.
Any ideas?

interzone55 10:33 11 Mar 2010

In the windows update screen right click on any unwanted updates and select Hide Update

Woolwell 12:59 11 Mar 2010

Chrome is probably the quickest but the new version of Opera is quick too. You cannot add toolbars to Chrome and some are not available for Opera. I find Firefox to be slightly more memory hungry probably due to the toolbars and add-ons. I find opening a new tab in IE8 to be slightly slow. On balance I prefer Firefox. I have tried Safari but didn't particularly like it and it also tried to download Itunes and another prog unless you unchecked the boxes.

interzone55 13:57 11 Mar 2010

For my personal needs Google Chrome is perfect, I particularly like the Incognito mode which allow you to open a page in a tab that doesn't retain cookies or form information. Perfect for online banking transactions.

I like the fact that there's little in the way of add-ons for Chrome, it keeps the interface clean and maximises the area available for web pages, which after all is the job of a web browser is it not.

Some people like Opera, and I've tried several versions but none of them it the spot the way Chrome does, and I used to swear by Firefox when it opened in a millisecond and used a tine amount of RAM, but then it succumbed to bloat and became a serious memory hog.

Lastly Internet Explorer, I must confess to quite liking IE8, and I sometimes use it at work for the pages on our Intranet that refuse to open in Chrome (not that many actually) I find IE8 to be much better than IE7, but it still isn't as fast as Chrome...

rizlo29 14:07 11 Mar 2010

Download google toolbar if you want a spell checker. And maybe the new version of Ie has bugs? Or maybe it just uses more of your CPU?

PS I would use FireFox. Its much safer and it's easy to tweak to speed it up :)

DieSse 15:05 11 Mar 2010

"(Bing wasn't amongst them)"

Because Bing is not a browser - it's a search engine.

Furkin 08:40 18 Mar 2010

Thanks guys.
It looks like just down to personal choice then, with no definitive Yes or No.
I tried Chrome when it came out, but my machine kept freezing.

I also tried IE7Pro (as recommended on here) mainly for the Spell checker. Mostly it worked o.k apart from being american,,,, but sometimes it would underline a word, but give no alternative.

For the moment, I think i'll stick with IE8.

I'm considering updating my machine - either internals (M.B > cpu which would also mean new RAM) or maybe a Bare Bones kit to utilise my other bits'n'bobs etc. So may look into this again then.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?