New broadband line keeps disconnecting!

MartynHoll 14:29 06 Nov 2004

I have had my broadband connection for a few days and am having trouble with it disconnecting - on average about between 2-4 minutes. A couple of time it has stayed up for a number of hours. I have checked and replaced the internal wiring and it is still doing it. I have changed the filters over as well. I would quite like to have a connection logger (software) that would record the connection details so that I can provide some statistics to BT - does anyone know of such a thing?

Dorsai 15:25 06 Nov 2004

One thing to remember is that all telephones (Faxes etc) in the house need to have a filter fitted. That is why they normally ship two filters. One for each phone (most houses have one upstairs and one down).

Ive 15:32 06 Nov 2004

If you have XP then go to Start, Settings, Control Panel and double click on Administrative Tools and then double click on Event Viewer And your disconections should show there. Double click on ones with a Red or Yellow mark for more info to pass to BT.

Diemmess 15:36 06 Nov 2004

This is not a direct answer but worth considering.

While connected there's a lot going on behind the scenes. Two of my family, each recently on to BB, one like you kept dropping out, the other found things slowing up unacceptably.

Both ran CCleaner. The "dropout" now stays online reliably, and the other, a really old PC, has really speeded up typing times.

Graham ® 16:04 06 Nov 2004

First thing I always recommend, if the modem is USB, remove all other USB devices to prove.

There is a long list of things to work through to find the cause!

MartynHoll 16:20 06 Nov 2004

Ive,

Thanks for info on event log - I can now see the durations of the connections.

Diemmess - what's CCleaner?

Dorsai - I have filters on all sockets with phones/sky box etc. fitted.

Graham - I do have a USB printer - but it has not been on during the disconnect times!

Graham ® 16:24 06 Nov 2004

Even so, unplug the printer. The modem requires 500mA, and that's all there is on a USB hub.

Graham ® 16:26 06 Nov 2004

CCleaner 'cleans' your system (like Andrews salts).

click here

Jackcoms 16:27 06 Nov 2004

MartynHoll

CCleaner click here

Run it. A great applications/registry cleaner. You can safely delete anything it finds in 'Issues'.

Jackcoms 16:28 06 Nov 2004

Also ensure that nothing else is sharing the USB port with the modem. USB modems like a single port all to themselves.

Graham ® 16:33 06 Nov 2004

Altogether 'From the top...'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?