New Broadband internet connection

Broadbandnewbie 14:10 27 Jan 2010

Help, please??

I've not no internet AT ALL at home but wish to. I wish to connect to the internet via broadband but will be buying a laptop to use and not a PC.

Please can any of you experts advise me what I NEED TO ENSURE the laptop has so I can connect via the old fashioned way of ethernet cable (I do not want to connect wireless).

Also do laptops come with modems/routers do I need to buy them separately - are the the same thing? - do I need to look out for anything specific especially as I do not want to connect the wireless way.

Please please please can you advise, its about time I got connected to the internet. I'm working works internet at the mo to send this e-mail!
Thank you very much in advance.

Clapton is God 14:20 27 Jan 2010

"so I can connect via the old fashioned way of ethernet cable"

An ethernet port and/or USB sockets for a USB modem.

"do laptops come with modems/routers do I need to buy them separately"

No they do not come with BB modems/router. Those are usually supplied by your ISP when you take out a contract with them.

JohnWilliams 14:21 27 Jan 2010

You need to buy a seperate broadband router. Most if not all of them will have ethernet ports so you can connect your laptop that way.
And of course you'll need to sign up to an ISP for a broadband connection.
That's it.

Chelonian 17:08 27 Jan 2010

I recently signed up to BT Broadband Option 1. A box was delivered a week later on my 'connection day'. It contained a router and other bits including an ethernet cable to connect the router to my laptop. The cable was a bit short but I bought a longer one (5m) for about £3.

My laptop is ancient so I had to buy a USB ethernet adaptor for about £8. I think that many modern laptops already have an ethernet port built in.

I was told that the service would be usable after midnight on my connection day and it was.

BT include a CD in the box but I didn't bother installing it.

I plugged everything in, clicked on Internet Explorer and it worked. My broadband connection slowed right down and stopped working the next day but I read the paper user manual that came in the box and pressed the restart button on the router. Problem solved.

I don't know if my experience is typical but so far, so good!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache