New Broadband Connection - Help

I,Me and Myself 14:45 02 May 2006

I have just installed a broadband modem with Virgin.net onto my parents PC. The connection is happening but the pages for Internet Explorer are failing to load. Anyone help?

Ikelos 15:29 02 May 2006

are the firewall settings too high....

I,Me and Myself 15:34 02 May 2006

Don't know. Does Windows 98se have firewall settings?

Jackcoms 16:28 02 May 2006

"Does Windows 98se have firewall settings?"

No.

Which begs the question - is the modem you've installed suitable for Win 98?

It may be XP only.

I,Me and Myself 18:51 02 May 2006

Wouldn't have gone ahead and ordered it if it wouldn't meet requirements but anyway I have just checked on the Virgin website and yes Windows 98 can be used with their broadband.

I,Me and Myself 10:08 03 May 2006

My Dad has his phone extension wire wired into the actual BT socket as opposed to it being plugged into the socket. Could this be the cause as the phone line would not be being filtered?

Ikelos 10:28 03 May 2006

all phones need a filter, but of course no filter if it is just the modem or PC is plugged in, if that makes sense.....

iscanut 10:32 03 May 2006

As Ikelos intimates, it may well be that you have to have a filter so that the line can be split 2 ways, one to the phone and the other to the modem (USB ?).

I,Me and Myself 10:32 03 May 2006

Yes, it does (even to me!!). Dad is out buying whatever he requires to rectify the problem at the BT box - doesn't mean to say it will rectify the problem with the broadband but we'll see later. (Yet another day with the paracetemol on standby).

Ikelos 10:52 03 May 2006

has he/you checked the settings in IE>tools, i have not got win98, so i can not check, only XP but i do have a win95 PC and that has them so win98 must, if security is set too high it will stop pages being loaded when connected...

I,Me and Myself 13:54 03 May 2006

We ended up ringing Virgin Technical help and it seems that the problem is with BT and their equipment at the exchange. Tests are to be carried out tomorrow and should be all fixed within 48 hours.
I will leave this thread going just in case this does not totally fix the problem

Thanks all who have taken the time to reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?