New base unit wanted - advice please

Whaty 07:44 27 Sep 2005

I've decided that the time has come to upgrade my current computer. I'm quite happy with my monitor, keyboard, mouse and speaker set-up and I only have a budget of about £400 so I think the way to go is a new base unit.

I'm looking for competence rather than cutting-edge. I just want a reliable, good all-rounder with a reasonable turn of speed and a decent graphics card.

What should I be looking for, what do you think I can get for this money and where should I look?

Thanks in advance, Terry

Diodorus Siculus 08:01 27 Sep 2005

Take a look at novatechs bare bones systems:

click here

TeaBee 08:20 27 Sep 2005

Seconded!

jack 08:32 27 Sep 2005

Tripleded too
Also buy MicroMart- a weekly maggie comes out Thursdays-The computerists Exchange and Mart

freaky 09:16 27 Sep 2005

Bought a Base Unit for the Mrs in January from Novatech for about £400. Nice piece of kit and no problems so far. They give you the choice of it being supplied with the OPS pre-installed, or they supply it on disk. I chose the latter.

Diodorus Siculus 09:27 27 Sep 2005

RE. the OS - buy the CD.

I enquired about buying the OS preinstalled on one of their laptops and was told that it came as a recovery disk; having the full CD is best.

Whaty 09:49 27 Sep 2005

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll have a quick look at the Novatech site during my dinner hour. What sort of spec should I be looking for / can I expect for my money?

Freaky, would you mind letting me know what spec you managed to get?

Picking up on the other point, I would prefer to have the OS CD, how much extra am I likely to have to pay?

LILYROY 10:01 27 Sep 2005

Get one from click here

spuds 10:03 27 Sep 2005

Novatech sell Microsoft XP Home for £63.11, and XP Pro for £100.57. Both are OEM and have SP2 included. You may get these a little cheaper from Ebuyer.

freaky 11:07 27 Sep 2005

She has all the information in her office (somewhere!). Once she has found it, then I will make a post with the details.

pj123 15:48 27 Sep 2005

Don't know where you live but give this site a try. All prices are plus postage.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires