New to AVG free software

Boy Zone 19:20 24 Mar 2005

Hi,

Having unistalled Norton A/v 2004 software, I then downloaded AVG free s/w.
Simply question, how do I know its working in the background, sometimes the icon is in the tray and sometimes it's not, only way to get the icon is to open the avg control manager. I don't mind not having the icon there, but I want assurance that AVG is working.

Halmer 20:39 24 Mar 2005

I've never known my AVG icon not to be there so can't really help sorry.

What version of Windows?

Boy Zone 20:50 24 Mar 2005

XP home

march 20:54 24 Mar 2005

Hello Boy Zone

if you open AVG & click on 'control centre' then close the windows does the icon appear again on the taskbar?

Technotiger 20:54 24 Mar 2005

Hi, I assume you are talking about AVG7, many of us here use it, so it is well tried and tested. I would suggest that you set it to do a full check each day at say 8am, keep it updated by checking daily while on-line and don't worry about it, it will be doing it's job without you noticing most of the time.
You should also have Ad-Aware click here also free and to be kept up-to-date while on-line with regular checks, and Zone Alarm firewall too from click here

Cheers and Happy Easter

Halmer 21:04 24 Mar 2005

not just 'hiding' so that you can reveal it by 'pressing' the little < on your taskbar?

Strawballs 23:08 24 Mar 2005

I used AVG free version for years no problem if you want a good firewall I recomend McAfee that is free with this months PCA.

Halmer 09:48 25 Mar 2005

for the record

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)