New ATX Power Supply for AMD Athlon

wint 16:09 11 Jan 2004

Hi,

Are power supplies different for AMD and Pentium motherboards?

I have an AMD Athlon (with Soltek mother board). My old PS now has a very noisy fan so I bought a new one.

After installing it, it wouldn't work but I have found (in small print) that it says "Pentium 4 board support".

Everything appears to start up, POST, HD spools up and bios identifies components (Floppy, HD & DVDR) but it won't boot either from HD, Floppy or CD.

Reinstalled the old PS and all is fine (except the noise!). Checked that 5v is appearing from the connectors.

There are a lot of things I don't know about PCs, is this another one or is the fault elsewhere?

DieSse 16:14 11 Jan 2004

No, they're not different - except in that there are some extra connectors for P4 boards that you may not need to use.

Suspect the new PSU is faulty or of too low a capacity.

R4 16:48 11 Jan 2004

You Need a Min of 300W for your system but it is best to get a good 400/500W PSU to ensure adequete power for the Athlon as they are quite power hungry. As DieSse said the P4 is the one that requires the extra

You should be able to see your 'Power Status' in one of the BIOS screens.

wint 16:54 11 Jan 2004

The old one is a 300W.

I thought, as I have more USB devices and an extra HD that I'd take advantage and get a 400W.

Yes, there are extra connectors and, yes I can see Power Status in the BIOS.

Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?