New 1 GB Memory DDR400 Will Not Boot into XP

atomickarma 09:12 07 Dec 2005

Hi.

I've just purchased a new DDR400 1G of memory for my P4U800-X motherboard.

I'm running it with a P4 1.7, ATI x700 AGP card, 1x DVD, 1x CD, 1X floppy drive, 1x 120 GB HDD and 1x Live drive/ SB Live! interal pairing.

My problem is that although the BIOS detects the memory and I can see it in the POST screen, the PC cannot boot into WXP.

As I'm not a regular buyer of memory, I've not experienced any RAM problems before, so this has me baffled. The DDR and mobo are - as far as I can tell - compatible, so I'm trying to establish whether or not anyone else has had issues like this? Could it be a power problem?

Having checked the Asus website and the Advance Modules website, I see no reason for any problems. While the Motherboard manual mentions problems with 16x modules, I don't believe my DDR is one of these.

Any help massively appreciated.

PaulB2005 09:17 07 Dec 2005

Put the old memory in. Does it boot?

Put the new memory in and run MemTest - click here Download "Download - Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.2 installable from Windows and DOS "

atomickarma 20:25 07 Dec 2005

hi PaulB2005

My old memory works fine. Have tried memtest with both - new RAM blasts through errors and restarts, old memory is remarkably good.

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be taking this 1GB back.

PaulB2005 20:28 07 Dec 2005

When buying memory always buy quality.

Crucial click here\uk

Go for the Ballistix if money allows.

PaulB2005 20:29 07 Dec 2005

Sorry that's click here

There is a tool to determine the right memory for your system.

DieSse 23:25 07 Dec 2005

DDR 400 sounds much too fast for a P4 1.7GHz system.

I know the motherboard is supposed to support it - but your processor will only have a much slower FSB - probably 400 or 533MHz (depending on the exact processor model) - so yo'll probably be better off with much slower RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017