networm32

maltose 08:49 26 Dec 2009

My daughter just phoned to say she has malware. Apparently "it" claims she has malware networm.32.mytab.t (might have been misheard over the phone) with demands for £80.00 to remove it. Sounds like a classic worm but which software can we trust to remove it? Her AVC appears to be disarmed by the worm. any ideas?

Halmer 08:54 26 Dec 2009
  maltose 09:21 26 Dec 2009

Thanks Halmer for a very prompt reply. I have passed the link to her and will keep you posted. Thanks again

maltose 09:22 26 Dec 2009

For AVC in first mail of course read AVG - she has tried to re-install AVG with no joy.

birdface 09:50 26 Dec 2009

Try running her security programs in safe mode.[just keep tapping f8 as the computer starts.]

Normally it will not let you download any security programs either. But see if this one will download.

click here

it is a pay for program but you get a 30 day trial and it will remove anything that it finds.
If it asks for payment ignore it and carry on with the scan.
Only use it if Malwarebytes does not work.

maltose 09:51 26 Dec 2009

She has now downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.42 but it will not scan! what now?

fsbb 09:52 26 Dec 2009

The most simplest solution to try first is a System Restore to restore your system back to a date when it was working OK. This will restore the registry (where the rogue files have probably installed themselves) and critical system files.

I always do a restore first and in most cases it resolves the problem.

maltose 09:56 26 Dec 2009

Thanks Buteman - I saw your response after my 9:51 reply. She will now try your link.

maltose 09:57 26 Dec 2009

thanks fsbb she had tried the system restore route before phoning Dad!

maltose 10:12 26 Dec 2009

Buteman, does your safe mode suggestion mean that AVG would then run? Neither of us have used "safe mode" before could we have an "idiots guide" how to?

birdface 10:43 26 Dec 2009

Not sure If AVG runs in safe mode But any other security programs should.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017