Networking xp with win7

electroplater 16:50 15 May 2010

I have a desktop with xp sp3 and have just got a laptop with win7 home premium. I have the xp connected to a wireless hub with a cable connection and the laptop connected wireless both accessing the internet ok. I wish to have networking between the systems and have set up a workgroup.
The xp machine is able to see the win7 hard drive and files but I cannot find the xp machine on the win7 laptop.
What am I missing????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:55 15 May 2010
  electroplater 17:23 15 May 2010

Thanks for the quick reply Fruit Bat.
Tried that one, not the answer. I have the two computers in 'workgroup' with different names and the win7 settings look ok.As I can access win7 from xp but not the other way is it the xp settings at fault?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:36 15 May 2010

Do you have folders shared on the win 7 machine?

mgmcc 17:38 15 May 2010

Has any firewall software in the XP PC been configured to allow access to the Win 7 Laptop?

Is the desktop PC running XP "Home" or XP "Professional"? If "Pro", is it set to use Simple File Sharing?

electroplater 21:03 15 May 2010

Thanks for the responses.
I have xp pro and file sharing is allowed. I have tried with the firewall turned off. Folders on win7 set to share and can be seen on xp but still no access to xp by win7.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:21 15 May 2010

One mistake is letting Win 7 name the network group "WORKGROUP" (don't use the default Homegroup network as it only works between Win 7 machines).

Changed the network group name to the same name as the XP group, e.g. "MSHOME".
(Control Panel\Right Click Computer\Change Settings.

Go to Control Panel\Computer\ click the drive you wanted to share and right click on the directory you wanted to share.
Chose "Share with" and right Click on the top "Nobody" which displays a Padlock then select Change Share Settings.
Then in the empty Panel enter the name Everybody and clicked ADD.

Then Right Click Everybody and selected how you wanted to Share.
Click on Share and Win 7 does the rest

mgmcc 21:35 15 May 2010

>>> Changed the network group name to the same name as the XP group, e.g. "MSHOME".
(Control Panel\Right Click Computer\Change Settings.

The default workgroup in XP Home is MSHOME but in XP Pro is WORKGROUP. Both computers should therefore already have the same workgroup name as OP has XP Pro. Even so, I'd always suggest using a name of your own rather than either default.

electroplater 11:09 16 May 2010

Fruit Bat, mgmcc
Still no result. I can still access the win7 system on the xp computer, I can see the cdrive and open and run programs, but I cannot see the xp computer on the win7 system. Both are running in 'workgroup' and switching the xp firewall off makes no difference.
The win7 computer seems to be sharing correctly. I have tried to download the LLTD files but the MS system says I have them already.

mgmcc 14:16 16 May 2010

>>> I have tried to download the LLTD files but the MS system says I have them already.

Are you sure? It is in XP that you have to install it, Windows 7 *will* already have it.

>>> I have xp pro and file sharing is allowed

What I was asking is whether you have *SIMPLE FILE SHARING* enabled in XP Pro. Open Windows Explorer and, from its menus, select "Tools > Folder options" then the View tab. Scroll down to the very last item in the Advanced Settings list, which is...

"Use simple file sharing (Recommended)"

...and make sure it is ticked.

>>> I can still access the win7 system on the xp computer, I can see the cdrive and open and run programs

Opening and running programs doesn't sound right. That sounds more like using Remote Desktop than accessing shared folders from within XP's "My Network Places". With either computer you should be able to access and open files located in the remote computer as though they were in the computer you're using.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?