Networking with XP Media Centre edition

Taurus 13:04 12 Mar 2006

Good morning, I am on the verge of buying a new 'puter, and because music, video and film are high on my agenda I am considering ordering it with windows xp media edition. I want to keep my existing machine (xp Pro) and create a home network, but when reading up on home networking I see that MS recomend xp home or xp pro. My question is this - will I encounter any problems networking with one macine running pro and the main machine running media edition.

Cheers,
Dave

retep888 14:52 12 Mar 2006

I don't have MCE myself, but from what I've read about it,it's basically a window xp pro with extra,therefore I think you shouldn't have any problem.

I'm not 100% sure though.

Taurus 16:24 12 Mar 2006

Thanks for responding to my thread, I figured that was probably the case but I didn't want to go with it and find it was incompatible. I'll take a chance, if it is abig deal I can allways load up my old copy of xp pro on the new machine (?)

Dave

ade.h 19:31 12 Mar 2006

You are spot on, retep. It is XP Pro with an interface that can be enabled/disabled as required and a few extra functions.

It networks every bit as efficiently as a standard XP Pro installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?