Networking Woes

ramjam69 21:17 08 Mar 2006

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me!
I'm trying to set up a wireless network consisting of a desktop(running XP sp2), a laptop (also running XP sp2) and a Belkin 7633 wireless ASDL router.
I can connect to the internet with both computers with no problems at all, but I'm wanting to share files between them.
I've run the wizard and it says it that the network is set up with both computers, but the desktop can't see the laptop or vice versa.

ade.h 21:54 08 Mar 2006

What do you mean by "cannot see the laptop"?

I assume that you have:

1) shared a folder on the desktop

2) moved to the laptop and entered My Network Places

3) Run the Add a Network Place wizard from the left pane

4) Clicked next twice, then clicked Browse, expanded the entire network and looked for the folder on the remote PC

5) Completed the wizard to add it to the laptop's places

TBZ3663 21:54 08 Mar 2006

Hello everyone. I have 2 laptops both running AOL broadband and windows xp home edition. I have just purchased a Belkin ADSL modem wit wireless g router and USB adapter. I dont have a clue about networking. What I was told was I could plug the router into the phone socket with the filter, then attach the USB adapter to one of the laptops and use the other one with a built in wirless card. I can only get access to the belkin website using the ethernet cable. I have been trying this now for 2 weeks to solve this proble. I suppose if I just sign up with another ISP it should work. Can anyone please help me

ade.h 21:56 08 Mar 2006

And permitted the IP of each client into the respective firewalls....

ade.h 21:57 08 Mar 2006

Please begin your own thread.

ramjam69 22:19 08 Mar 2006

Cheers for your help ade.h, I've tried what you suggested and it let me add the folder into My Network Places, but when I try and access it, I get the following error message:-

\\DESKTOP\ SharedDocs is not accessible. You might have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this network (I THOUGHT THAT WAS ME!!) to find out if you have active permissions.

The networkpath was not found.

I hope you might still be able to point me in the right direction with the information I've supplied

ade.h 22:35 08 Mar 2006

Unless you use the normally hidden Administrator account as your usual account rather than one with your own name, then you're not really truly the Admin in XP! But what it kind of helpfully tries to say is "contact the bloke in your office who looks after the technical stuff". It's a hangover from the NT days!

In the "sharing" tab of the Shared Docs folder, are both boxes chaecked?

On my Home and Office networks, which all talk to each other happily despite being two different workgroups, the only way that I can replicate your error message is to carelessly leave the remote PC switched of or in standby. eg right now, my business laptop is in standby and from my desktop where I am now, I can't access it and get that message.

So are you certain that the remote PC is running? It does not have to have a user logged in.

ramjam69 17:17 09 Mar 2006

Hello again,
I am already doing everything you suggested, and this is really annoying me! The way everything's written on the subject, itseems so easy, so why can't I connect them? The main reason I bought the damn router was so I share file between the 2 systems!!
Any further help would be appreciated

TTP 18:36 09 Mar 2006

Have you given your network permission in your firewall program ?

ade.h 18:47 09 Mar 2006

I already covered that yesterday (21:56). But ramjam hasn't confirmed either way yet.

Ramjam - if you need assistance with checking IP permissions in firewalls, let us know what firewall you use on each PC.

TTP 19:19 09 Mar 2006

Has ramjam entered the correct network key into his 'connect to wireless network' box. I use my wireless router in 'infrastructure mode' so all network traffic runs through that and that is the network key required - so all computers (3 of them) are clients to the router,as the router handles all dhcp and ip addressing so it was quite quick and easy really !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?