Networking with Vista Basic

bribow 19:15 30 Apr 2007

Am I right in assuming that One can't set up a network using Vista Home Basic?

I have been trying to do this for a WEEK now and I have pulled ALL my hair out....

I have a desktop running XP and attached is a Netgear router, I am using a laptop with XP to access my network, BUT I have just bought a new laptop with 'Vista Home Basic' on it for family use, I have tried just about everything I know to get it up and running on my network without success.

I would REALLY apreciate help with this....

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Bribow.....

setecio 19:47 30 Apr 2007

Hope this helps :

Go into network and sharing centre in control panel, manage network connections, right click on wireless connection and untick IP6 !!

It improved my wireless dramtically

Ashrich 22:57 30 Apr 2007

Hello , first of all , make sure both PC's are in the same workgroup , then on the

Ashrich 23:05 30 Apr 2007

( cont. ) Vista PC go to the Network and Sharing centre and turn on Network Discovery , File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing , turn off Password Protected sharing for now and run the Network wizard , putting the laptop in the MSHOME workgroup , then on the XP PC go to Network Connections and set up a new network . Put the PC in the MSHOME workgroup and give it a name , finish the wizard , without transferring any settings . Turn off , for now , both firewalls and try looking for each PC in My Networks or Windows Explorer . Sorry for the split post , not too sure what happened !

Ashley

dave16v1 15:21 03 May 2007

hi there, i had serious probs with my lappy with vista and aol broadband to make it go wireless, but i did solve the prob with no help from aol at all nor my lappy maker, i f you need help mail me and i will sort this prob for you, i have already helped many peolpe and they are all now wireless, i would imagine this is your prob, u have laptop with either internal adapter which aol says is not compatible you are running vista with aol as ur isp ,if this sounds fimilar mail me its easily fixed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017